Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

American Passport/Registration for baby

Obiwan is offline Registered User

Yes, she will need a visa to travel to America on the HKSAR passport, that is why we are thinking to get her the American passport now. She is a baby so clearly she wouldn't know if she wants to be American at this age, but we are American so it makes sense for us to consider this.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User

My children were born in the US so have US passports while we don't, since we're EU citizens. Currently they hold both. Our home country is a little weird about 2 passports especially if you haven't lived there for 5 years before you're 18 (which we don't know yet, but hope not). The Americans obviously don't care. Every passport holder 18 yo + (with income, etc.) is a tax payer and the more the merrier, especially these days!

Obiwan is offline Registered User

Indeed, and it is this tax liability when she is an income earner that is making us deliberate on whether it is a wise move for her to be an American citizen. Not sure what the world is going to be like in 18 years and if being an American is going to be good/better then.

Mom2Sofie&Twins, I suppose your children would be subject to global tax (being Americans) when they are of age?

I am thinking aloud here. Would it be easier to apply for American passport later (before 18) ... or would it be easier to renounce it later (IF it turns out that there are more cons than pros to being an American in 18 years time)? I'll have to check with an legal counsel on this ....

bubi is offline Registered User

Hi Obiwan - Unfortunately my family is full Filipino. My husband is american. I just want to prepare everything for my daughter`s future. Having dual citizenship is a really good thing for her future i think. Thank you for the info btw. :-)

carang is offline Registered User

please REMEMBER, that even if you hold two passports (if one of them is HKSAR or PRC) the chinese gov't DOES NOT RECOGNISE your other passport.

that means, if you are travelling in china and something happens, you are treated AS A CHINESE citizen... they do not care if you also carry a US passport.

the chinese gov't ONLY recognises the second passport as a travel document and will not recognise "consular" service requests.

(capitals for emphasis, not intende as shouting)

gladyswly is offline Registered User

agree, we have 2 passports for our baby and just use whichever one suits the circumstances, ie. use the US passport while going to the US and the HK passport going to some places that doesn't require visa with HKSAR passport yet need one with US passport.

many people hold multiple passports, no problem.

and for global tax as US citizens, my husband haven't file tax (US) since graduated from college (he left US soon after that) and so do some of his friends, and no prob indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Obiwan View Post
    Mom2Sofie&Twins, I suppose your children would be subject to global tax (being Americans) when they are of age?

I am thinking aloud here. Would it be easier to apply for American passport later (before 18) ... or would it be easier to renounce it later (IF it turns out that there are more cons than pros to being an American in 18 years time)? I'll have to check with an legal counsel on this ....
    It is way easier to apply for a US passport if born in the US than for the other passport, and since we needed to travel, that's what we did. I still believe it's going to be a big advantage for them, being able to study and live in the US. It's up to them to make that choice. Until 18 it doesn't really matter, so we'll see when time comes. Again, we hope to return to the US. Also our taxes back home are way higher than the US so there is no disadvantage (you're not paying both just the difference). It would be less favorable ending up in a country where taxes are lower, e.g. Hong Kong. I want to keep all options open for them, a EU and US passport is offering them a great opportunity. So far my oldest lived in the US most of her life, the twins in Hong Kong ... so being an EU citizen doesn't mean much at this moment, except that we are.

Quote Originally Posted by gladyswly View Post
    and for global tax as US citizens, my husband haven't file tax (US) since graduated from college (he left US soon after that) and so do some of his friends, and no prob indeed.
    He's a US citizen and doesn't pay US taxes? Somebody I know was born in the US, hardly lived there, being super successful, earning very very good money ... and he had to settle with the IRS ... in order to be able to travel to the US.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast