Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

American Passport/Registration for baby

carang is offline Registered User
    no problem for your husband not filing us tax???? ummmm... i'd say, wait until he tries to move back to the us... they are not exactly known for their leniency when it comes to paying them the taxes that are owed to them. your husband may have a nasty surprise waiting for him.

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    With Cara on this. Never mess with the tax man.

I understand that if one doesn't return to the US, one may be able to get away with not paying tax due. But when you try to enter the country, you might be stopped.....

carang is offline Registered User
    thank God i'm not american! too many taxes for my liking... much better to be canadian.... a LOT of tax, but if you're not resident, you don't have to pay it! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Mom2Sofie&Twins View Post
    I still believe it's going to be a big advantage for them, being able to study and live in the US. It's up to them to make that choice. Until 18 it doesn't really matter, so we'll see when time comes. Again, we hope to return to the US. Also our taxes back home are way higher than the US so there is no disadvantage (you're not paying both just the difference). I want to keep all options open for them, a EU and US passport is offering them a great opportunity.
    Agree, make sense! So when your children turn 18, do they have to pick one citizenship, i.e. renounce the other?

Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    thank God i'm not american! too many taxes for my liking... much better to be canadian.... a LOT of tax, but if you're not resident, you don't have to pay it! ;)
    Indeed :) Especially when one gets used to HK 16% tax, it can sometimes be difficult to go 'home' where your disposable income is significantly reduced (not to mention no helper, and paying the nanny USD30k a year).

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Obiwan View Post
    Agree, make sense! So when your children turn 18, do they have to pick one citizenship, i.e. renounce the other?
    They can keep the US without a problem (as long as the IRS is being paid), and the Dutch law is rather vague. Especially since we're both Dutch, how could they take Dutch citizenship away. But there have been a lot of confusing cases with immigrants, etc. so that's why things are a little unclear, I think they should be able to keep both.

gladyswly is offline Registered User
    well we have been going back to US every year since my husband has left the country... last time we spent a month there and one year he spent 3 months there and no prob... I talked to him about this too cuz I just know that americans need to pay US tax even living overseas when I was watching it on Money Magazine on Pearl... but he said no prob and his friends don't file too... :( I am confused.

Quote Originally Posted by gladyswly View Post
    well we have been going back to US every year since my husband has left the country... last time we spent a month there and one year he spent 3 months there and no prob... I talked to him about this too cuz I just know that americans need to pay US tax even living overseas when I was watching it on Money Magazine on Pearl... but he said no prob and his friends don't file too... :( I am confused.
    Think in general it is a gamble. If the IRS discovers that taxes are not being paid, there will be a long string of investigation that can be very troublesome. Hence, most will not mess with the IRS and will file and pay tax accordingly.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast