Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

American Passport/Registration for baby

carang is offline Registered User
    yeah, eventually they'll get you...(or him)... hey, that's even how they got Al Capone!

wwong68 is offline Registered User
    Since u guys are living outside the States, there's a tax exclusion. U need to file but no need to pay if you make US$ 90K per year. If you make anything more than that, then u need to pay the US Tax. I think the IRS only try to get the ones who are like bankers and lawyers. As long as you are not in these categories, I don't think they will bother you.

Also if you don't pay, when u go back to the States. Don't expect to get any Social Sec. or medicial.

gladyswly is offline Registered User
    well.. a bit shame to tell but my husband doesn't make that much of the money, maybe that's why we are not caught yet!

We never expect anything from the US government anyway, Social Security would be given all out way before my husband is qualified for that, this system is retarted. Medical benefit? Is there any in the states? lol.

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Yup, the first USD90k (or is it USD80k) is tax exempt. If it works out that your husband doesn't have any tax due, wouldn't it make better sense to file? Unless you are preparing for the future where there is net taxable income ....

It is hard for the government to be after every American, but if one is investigated, it's just very troublesome, in my opinion, not worth taking the risk :) Trust me, there are many moments I am tempted to not declare/under declare, but I always chicken out and be a law abiding citizen.

carang is offline Registered User
    obiwan, think about the lessons that you are teaching your children... good for you!

i'm the same way... i have two businesses. most of the income from one of them is cash-in-hand. hubby has on occasion said that i don't have to declare all of it... but i do, everytime.

mwong222 is offline Registered User
    to OP:
    I got both passports for my son. the deadline for US citizenship is 18 yrs old but i wanted to bring my son back to the US w/o getting a visa. and wanted the return home card so easier for him to travel to China. Can have both. just not legally. no one really checks (there are still a lot of HK citizens with 2 passports). when he turns 18, he can decide on his own what he wants to do. but for now, he is free to travel to most parts of the world.

for taxes, i pay US taxes and will report my son on IRS forms. price to pay for being US citizen. when he earns income though, whether he pays taxes or not depends on what he uses when working. if he works in HK as HK citizen, no one is going to check (a lot of HK/US citizens don't pay US taxes) if he is also US citizen. grey area. after all, sadly there are kids who just don't work.

for the poster whose husband never paid taxes. i don't think the IRS will catch him. the reason is he never filed taxes as an adult so no reason to investigate him. as i said earlier, there are people who just don't work. but technically, no matter how much he earns (unless under 11k USD), he has to report even if he doesn't owe taxes. also he is supposed to report his bank account info (people tend to forget this part and focus on income). so if his bank account is based on his US passport, he may be screwed.

Thanks mwong222. We have decided to hold off getting her the American passport. Don't want her to have any tax liability until such time (before 18) that she decides she wants to be an American.

I'm afraid it's not a grey area. Regardless of where an American works, the law is clear that he/she is subject to global taxation. How one interprets the law, and does with it, is individual's choices, but the law is clear. What one would hope in cases where income is not reported, is that the government never finds out. And you are right that it would be very difficult for the IRS to track every oversea American. They are making a serious effort though ... BBG article below on HK government cooperating in this regard. Yes they are targeting high income individuals.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/newspi...d=aoY9mGd1juOY

And of course it's another discussion on whether one should be fulfilling our duty as citizens (American or otherwise) to declare our taxable income honestly. That boils down to individual's integrity, but the law is clear - you need to declare your income.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast