Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

How did you prepare for pregnancy?

geocup Guest

How did you prepare for pregnancy?

I would like to start a family within the next couple of months and would like to hear how others prepared themselves physically for pregnancy. I am 33, 150cm and weigh about 44kg. I do little to no exercise and have not been so kind to my body in the past....... I know that I need to change my diet as it is not so nutritious - but what else did you do to prepare?
    Did you drink local water?

nino is offline Registered User
    Happy Valley
    First thing I did was visit my GP. She told me when to start taking pre-natal vitamins and did some blood tests; she also gave me advice and answered other conception/pregnancy questions.

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Hi Cupcakes, first thing I did was to start taking prenatal vitamins. Then I arranged a visit to the OBGYN (I was 35 and wanted to make sure that I'm all ok health wise) and had myself checked out. The doctor gave us a clean bill of health and advised us to buy an ovulation prediction kit. Was lucky to get pregnant within 3 months. I drink local water, with a filter and boiled. And have been working out regularly in the gym for many years.

Good luck!! :)

reei is offline Registered User
    Hung Hom

preparing for pregnancy

when i plan for pregnancy, i went to the family planning association. they have a pre pregnancy check up for you and your spouse. did some blood tests , and check on hepatitis B.. all that and rubella immunity. i think we all took the rubella vaccination when we were at secondary school, but if your immunisation is low , they will recommend that you take the vaccination for any that is required. also, i took chicken pox vaccination as i never had chicken pox.
    and take prenatal vitamins.. 400 mg of folic acid. and make a practise to mark your AF date if you dont practise that. the date is useful to count your due date when you do get pregnant..
    and good luck!

geomum is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Besides everything mentioned above some nice lingerie is also very important ;)

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    ummmm.... i .....decided i wanted a baby... talked to hubby.... and i had a pap smear... talked to my doctor about changing my blood pressure medication and that was it... nothing else.

Bumps Guest
    HI Cupcakes
    I did all of the above except the lingerie... a waste of time really!!! ..
    .... seriously....
    I too have not been so good to my body, .... (eating disorder)
    So here is my list when I planned for pregnancy..
    Full Dr. Check up:
    Pap Smear,
    Breast Check,
    Blood test for: measles/mumps/rubella/chicken pox/tetanus,HIV, HEP, (Your Dr, will know what to test for)
    Asthma management,
    Folic Acid supplement
    Iodine/calcium/B6/Zinc Supplement
    Managed my diet with my Dr, - ate more nutrient dense foods,
    Had blood pressure taken/diabetes tested,
    Talked to my psychiatrist about it....
    Double checked my psyc. meds....
    Started doing more exercise
    Talked to my Dr about my reproductive history/
    You may want genetic testing?

I made all these changes about 3 months before we actually began trying.....

For some, it is not just a case of telling your partner that you would like to have a baby.....

I really wish you and your partner all the best!

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    I think nice lingerie is a nice to have too ... for the next one year or so it'll be harder to feel so good with morning sickness and expanding waistline etc, so enjoy while you can :)