Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Essentials for toddlers in weather below 0 degrees celsius

FShah is offline Registered User

Essentials for toddlers in weather below 0 degrees celsius

We will be heading for vacation with our 22month old, where the weather will drop to below 0 degrees celsius.

Need help with what should the proper winter attire/medication/essentials i should bring/stock for my toddler as I have never travelled anywhere that cold before. I would really appreciate all inputs as i have to bring every essential winter item as it will be far into a village area hence shopping for any clothes/baby items will be a good 2half hours drive away to town.

Thanks in abundance!!

carang is offline Registered User
    ok, i come from the prairies in canada, where the temperature drops to -20C to -40C for about 5 months per year.

it will depend on whether the place you are staying will have central heating or not.

if it has, then you need:

boots (with sheepskin lining)
    long woollen scarf
    thick woollen hat
    woollen mittens (preferably with some kind of nylon covering)
    perhaps a pair of long underwear
    and maybe an undershirt

0C is not really that cold. most kids in canada wouldn't even wear a scarf or a hat in it.

medications? you shouldn't need anything unless you think you might get sick. in which case, you would need the same medications as you would take in hk.

the trick when confronted with cold is to dress in layers... it is better to wear an undershirt, a t-shirt, a jumper and then a jacket than to wear a jacket that is too thick. the reason is that you can remove a layer if you get too hot (yes, it does happen)... the LAST thing you want to happen is to be wet with sweat. THAT can be dangerous as sweat is used to cool the body. if you get sweaty and then are exposed to cold, your body temperature drops too much. you DO NOT WANT TO BE SWEATING (not shouting...said for emphasis only)...

my two kids were in canada with me last easter. on the day we landed it was -25C... they LOVED playing outside in the snow! it's great fun and wonderful exercise. there is no reason at all that you can't roll around in it and really have fun! you just need to know how to dress appropriately.

ps> i would probably take a few pairs of mittens, scarves & hats, in case the first ones get wet... you want to have a back-up pair...

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    You know a prairie girl is talking when she says 0 degrees isn`t that cold. Where I`m from (yyz area -aka the centre of the universe;), no mama would send her kid outside without a hat, scarf and mittens in 0 degrees. Mind you, if it goes to 15 above, everyone has full license to don short sleeves and shorts...:|

Fshah - think down jacket, scarf, wooly hat and mits, sweaters, turtlenecks, corduroys (jeans freeze up when it`s really cold and are not comfortable at all), long johns are the greatest cold weather wear.
    It might help you to see what is on sale (via internet) in the country where you`re going to see what people are going to be wearing.
    I believe it`s better to be overprepared because being that cold and not having enough warm clothes really really sucks.

yyz? Pls refresh my memory....

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    yyz? Pls refresh my memory....
    toronto~~~

ahhh... tu-ruh-nuh....THAT explains it! LOL!

0C is still "beautiful" weather where i come from...as a matter of fact, i look forward to winter here, i HATE the heat of summer!

give me HK winters and Canadian summers... that would be PERFECT!

FShah is offline Registered User
    Thank you carang & Shenzhennifer!

We are actually heading to northen pakistan where there will not be any central heating (unless you count fire made out from logs by the farm) Its cold by HK standard during summers (in which we are accustomed to) there hence winter will definitely be just as cold as canada or perhaps less of (which we will be experiencing 1st time this winter).

Thanks for all the inputs as I am seriously listing/getting as much winter stuff for my daughter just so i dont miss out anything when we get there. & Yes, ure right i would rather overpack then underpack especially with my 22mth in tow!

Oh~ what do your children sleep in? Layering - Thermal onesies, full toe covered PJs & thick blanket/sleeping bags?

sounds about right... if no central heating, then i would layer, layer, layer... all the time.