Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Help! Potty Training Woos...

louisouis is offline Registered User

Unhappy Help! Potty Training Woos...

Have been trying to potty train my 19 month old toddler, I think our technique is really not working as he is not really sounding the alarm when he goes. Or he tends to tell us after the deed is done, and he seems to like to have a wee wee once he gets into the bath hence I have to change the bath water, even though i sat with him for a while at the potty. Anyone has any tips?

Frenchy is offline Registered User

19 months is still very young, and it could take weeks and weeks before he starts to understand the link between needing to pee and going to the potty....
    We have a potty in the bathroom since our son is 21 months, we used to tell him to sit on it before the bath, and eventually he started to pee after one or 2 weeks...then in the morning, just after we took off his night nappies... We did it very gradually. Now he is 23 months, at home he is going around without nappies, and he will go by himself in the potty, but still we have many accidents !
    It gets much easier also when they are able to say "pee" or "poo" or "potty" ... but sincerely, even 2 years old is very young I think, in France we generally start around 2.5 to 3 yo !
    Good luck !

carang is offline Registered User

i was also going to say that 19 months is very young. my son pretty much trained himself before 2 years, but my daughter is now 2yr9m and we are still working on it. she, too, pees when she gets into the tub. we know this and so put her onto the toilet before we put her into the tub.

if he doesn't "get it" then leave it for another month or two and try again.

the other thing we did with both kids is buy them special underwear. my son got "spiderman" and "cars"... my daughter, "princesses and fairies".... when we bought it together, i explained that when they wear the special underwear, they dont' want to "dirty" it. the "spiderman" or "princess" don't like being dirty.

it's worked... with my son much faster than with my daughter....

tstmum is offline Registered User

Agree that 19 months is very young, especially for boys. We did not push it with our son, but had everything ready from the time he was 2 years - special toilet seat, wipes, undies, etc, but he showed no interest for months. It was not until he was almost 3 years that he woke up one day and decided no more nappies and that was it, basically toilet trained over a weekend.