Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Hong Lok Yuen Int School

delight is offline Registered User

Hong Lok Yuen Int School

Hello

New to this site but have used the forums alot to gain info about impending move to HK from UK early next year.

We were over a few weeks ago and saw this school, liked it but it would great to get some feedback from parents whose children attend there.Would also like to hear from people who live in hong Lok Yuen itself, we saw houses there but wondered whether it was a bit remote? We did not see any surrounding areas to Hong Lok Yuen.

Many thanks for your time!

D

Sleuth is offline Registered User

Okay, we don't live there, nor do we attend the school, but...
    we looked at the place and decided (1) it was too remote; you'll need a car and (2) a lot of what we saw was rather run-down.
    For the school, it is rather expensive, the teacher:student ratio is high (even when you factor in assistants), however the students are from a diverse background. And the school is as remote as the development which is fine if you live there/near or have a car otherwise a hassle.

Klam is offline Registered User

It really depends on where you are going to live. The rental in HLY is quite expensive and majority of expats living there have company housing.
    Both my children attend HLY but we live near Yuen Long and not in HLY and I drive to school everyday (10/15mins). However, there are school buses going from various locations around the New Territories.

The school is small and the teacher: student ratio is no higher than other international schools around. There are only 20 children in my daughters class, with a maximum of 26 students in the class. I believe this is the same in majority of other international/ESF schools.
    School fees are at international levels and again, no higher and in some cases, lower than other schools and you do not need to pay huge debentures to get into the school. However, you do need to pay a small yearly registration fee.
    Also, just found out from a friend whose son goes to ESF Shatin, that their school fees are not that much lower than HLY.

Because the school is quite small, the community is fantastic, everybody knows everybody and parents are encouraged to be involved with the school as much as possible. For example, the school fair that has just finished was completely organised and run by parents.
    My daughter absolutely loves it there and has friends from every year level.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my post...

slueth - it is great to hear that you enjoy that school, and the community is friendly and active. A big consideration!
    We will be in HK for 2 and a half years meaning that one of my children wll go back to the UK to Year 6. I was wondering if you could give me any feedback on the PYP curriculam, I am worried that it s so different to the UK one (we attend a small, quite traditional prep school here) that he will have problems getting back into the swing of things in his final year of primary . I like the theory of PYP and it will certainly suit my youngest (reception age) but felt for my oldest it might be quite hard to measure how he is getting on in each of the subjects??
    Like I said we had a visit and really liked the deputy head and the "feel" of the school, the curriculum is my only stumbling block.
    Also, we looked at houses in HLY and whilst some of them were not in the state of repair of other places we saw in other areas of HK, it feels like an easy environment to be in. Do alot of parents live here? If not where are the other areas the majority come from?
    Really appreciate any feedback you can give me, thanks for your time!!

D

Sorry - got my names mixed up - meant to adddres my questions to Klam!!!