Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Poll: What age did you start with potty training?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

When did you start with Potty training?

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

When did you start with Potty training?

I was reading the Baby Whisperer, which said that the ideal time to start potty training was 9-15 months. I am very intrigued and am wondering if anyone has started this early and what their experience was.

carang is offline Registered User
    my son pretty much toilet trained himself around 20-22 months. my daughter, on the other hand, is having a much more difficult time of it... 2yr10m and she gets most #2's in the toilet, but only a small fraction of #1's...

Jo Bowd is offline Registered User
    About 9 months with both my boys, but more a case of the adult care giver being aware of their pattern of when they usually go for a poo. Then also get them in the habit of doing a wee before bathtime. A case of sitting them on the toilet, if they go that's great. If they don't it doesn't matter. Got them both in the habit of sitting on the toilet. Did not do "real" toilet training until they were both 2 years old.

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Shenzhennifer View Post
    I was reading the Baby Whisperer, which said that the ideal time to start potty training was 9-15 months. I am very intrigued and am wondering if anyone has started this early and what their experience was.
    I definitely don't agree with this at all. The right time to potty train is when it's the right time for the child full stop. This could be 16 months, it could be 3. My first was potty trained (day and night) within a week by 2 and a half. My second is now 2 and a half and there is no way we'll be done before 3, 3 and a half.

A friend of mine started early and is still training her son 3 years later. Seriously.

If the child is ready it will learn quickly. If it's not and you press on regardless it could become a real issue and a real way for them to get some control in their life. Nothing like peeing in your pants to show mum who's boss!

PurpleFlower is offline Registered User
    How can you tell when is the right time?

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    My parents-in-law started putting my son on a potty when he was about 2-3-months-old. I think a lot of Chinese people do what's called in the West, "elimination communication"--predicting when your baby is going to go and anticipating it. A lot of Chinese kids in Mainland China go diaper-less (as I'm sure you've seen). So, my son has been using the potty since he was really small which now makes it a lot easier to potty train him. We bought a little toilette seat that goes over the toilette for home about the same time the parents-in-law started training him. So, when we could see the signs of him about to go (especially #2) we would put him on the toilette. In the past 6 months he has started showing a genuine interest and understanding of using the toilette and the past 3 months he has decided to start "potty training" himself--this means he tells us most of the time when he needs to go--and he gets quite upset if we don't take him to the toilette. Sometimes he doesn't tell us in time or he misjudges (it's not #2, but gas instead) but he's getting there. We put him on the potty in the mornings when he wakes up, after meals and before bedtime. Dadda has even started to teach him to go standing up (which apparently is really important to Dadda). My son will be 2-years-old in about 2 weeks. Oh, and we've found it pretty important to put briefs on him around the house--then he really gets the understanding of what he's actually doing when he goes. And gosh, those little boys briefs are just too cute--he especially likes the ones with Thomas the Train and Cars on them. I don't even think they make briefs that small in the States.
    Last edited by thanka2; 11-12-2009 at 10:56 PM.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    If the child is ready it will learn quickly. If it's not and you press on regardless it could become a real issue and a real way for them to get some control in their life. Nothing like peeing in your pants to show mum who's boss!
    Hilarious! Yeah, I was a strong-willed [*no really?!*gasp*] child and I can remember doing exactly that at least on one occasion. I think I was like 6-7-years-old! It wasn't because my mom pushed potty training with me, though--it was just to see what her reaction would be. Let's just say it wasn't pretty.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    My girls were both 2y9m and did it in 2 days or so. My twin boy is almost 3 and he's going on the potty twice a day but still wears a diaper. He's slightly slow on speech as well, so the communication isn't optimal, but he's certainly getting it. My oldest was dry overnight very soon after (before age 3) and my twin girl is still in a pull up in bed (lazy type)

For me, a child isn't potty trained if they can't tell you they need to go, pull down their pants, sit, wipe (or make an attempt to wipe, #2 is still quite hard), flush, wash hands and go.

I don't think a child is truly trained if I need to put him / her on there, at certain times, take their pants of, and basically do all the work for them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast