Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need a cake recipe low in sugar

southside852 is offline Registered User

Need a cake recipe low in sugar

I am looking for a cake recipe for my son's 2 bday. He does not like sweet things so am looking for one that doesn't use too much sugar as we hope to make an elmo cake with it. He does not like the pre-made yellow cake mixes. Anyone have any good cake recipes that are low in sugar or better yet - sugar free AND great tasting?

THanks!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Have you seen the first year birthday cake in the book, What to expect the first year ? I haven`t tried it (baby under one and can`t bake here) but it looks pretty good.
    If you don`t have the book, let me know and I will copy the recipe out on here.

FShah is offline Registered User
    I've made this cheescake for my daughter's 1st birthday and was quite a hit.

Crust :about 22 graham crackers
    5 tablespoon butter melted
    2 tablespoon sugar

Three 8oz cream cheese
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    4large eggs

Mix crust filling and press it onto your pan, Chill while you blitz the filling.

Put all the filling ingredients into a blender till smooth. Do not overblend else you'd crack your cheesecake.

Pour filling into your graham crust. Place your pan into a baking dish & fill the dish halfway up with boiling water. Bake in a preheated oven @ 175degrees for an hour. Leave the cheesecake in the oven for at least half hour before opening your oven & removing your pan. This prevents your cake from sinking.

Ive actually added food coloring in my cheescake & cut the cake out to my daughter's name using a small knife dipped in hot water everytime you need to cut to achieve your desired shape.

The actual recipe calls for 1/2cup sugar to the filling which i have elimated but the cake taste just as good - at least in my daughter's books :D

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Sounds yummy, FShah! I'm gonna try it maybe.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    We did the What to Expect Cake for his 1st bday and the cheesecake sounds great, but I think it might be hard to turn it into an Elmo cake.

mazamarie is offline Registered User
    Here are a few links to some I have looked at. Sorry haven't tried any myself but the first website does have comments from people who have baked them. You might just want to give the one you decide on a try a week or so before just to make sure it tastes alright.

Sugar-free Whole Wheat Carrot Cake Recipe

Cooks.com - Recipes - Sugar Free Cake

Beautiful Birthday Cakes Baked Without Sugar - Sugar Free Recipes (UK)

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    I took a look at the Sugar-free Whole Wheat Carrot Cake but it's got Splenda in it which is an artificial sweetener--honestly, I'd rather use something like organic sucanat or whole sugar rather than something that is basically a chemical concoction and is somehow "sugarfree." As long as your child doesn't have a literal sugar allergy, one day of a bit of well-selected sugar shouldn't hurt. You can also take things like apple sauce and reduce it by boiling it and use that as a sweeter--or any pureed fruit as well. Another option is to use stevia which is an herb and 120 times sweeter than sugar--I use it a lot when baking for my son. Or honey--as long as your child is 12 months+ is should be okay. If you want info about where to get stevia in HK, PM me--I just found a good place to find it--affordable too.

Elmo cake, southside852? We're also doing an Elmo cake that will be completely healthy (we're doing individual cupcakes). If you'd like more details about our plan, PM me.

rani is offline Administrator
    The cake recipe from What to Expect also uses apple juice concentrate and sauce. We've posted the recipe here:

First birthday party

Also Complete Deelite has Character cake pans which you can rent for $50. They definitely have Elmo.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast