Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Were you influenced by feng shui when naming bub?

yonge is offline Registered User

Absolutely not. We solicited suggestions from family and friends that we respected, but in the end, my husband and I chose the English and Chinese names for our children - which we LOVE. You'll be raising the children and be using these names more than anyone else. You'll want to pass your children your values, so the child's name should reflect those values, not someone else's. It's a bit of a landmine to go to anyone else, especially if that person is going to be offended if you don't take their suggestion. Same thing with a feng shui person - you don't want some third party to be creating division in your family because you did/did not follow one feng shui master or another. Why go there???

Konradsmom is offline Registered User

I don't think you should get upset with what a website tells you. If you believe in chinese "ba zi", then you should get it done properly by someone you trust. And if you don't believe in it, just don't bother with it - frankly how accurate can a website be????

I have studied the chinese bazi before under a master, and I do believe the whole system/culture did not survive for thousands of years if it was pure superstition, there is a loigc and application to it, but you just need to have the right attitude to the whole thing , know what it can do, what its limitations are etc etc.

reei is offline Registered User

suggests you think of a new name. if u r really not influence by the feng shui, then dont check at all.
    checking and knowing , and trying to forget the bad things it says.. but in the future.. if something not so good happens, you can't help thinking, could it be the name?

PurpleFlower is offline Registered User

My uncle also said, you (the parents) are the ones "in luck" (or some similar translation), so your "good fortune" will guide you to choosing the right name. ie go with your heart!

Since you don't REALLY believe in it anyway, maybe you can keep that thought "in mind", forget what the website said, wait til the baby is born and then see if the name you like suits him/her. Maybe some other inspiration will come to you, or maybe your chosen name will just simply feel like the right one... You have 1.5 months to decide after the baby is born, right? :P I wouldn't stress about it now. :)

fingerscrossed is offline Registered User

If you don't believe in fung shui yourself, don't follow the website. I wouldn't trust websites giving fung shui advice in the first place. My father-in-law gave us a whole list of names to choose from which were all given the OK by some fung shui person. I didn't mind this because my husband and I have no idea about chinese names. I of course asked my parents and some other friends if the name we chose sounded OK. My advice is, if you choose to believe fung shui, get a 'proper' fung shui master to help you out, otherwise, trust in yourself because you're the parents.

mcdill is offline Registered User

I did not have this opportunity and think it would have been interesting to see what names would be recommended by the feng shui experts but ultimately it has to be a name that the parents like.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12