Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Heaters and Babies

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    thanka2 - boundaries are great and they should be in effect for little ones. But with an apartment so small, with not that many places to explore, I try to let him go around as much as possible. The only time when I get `mean` strict is when he`s touching cords and the stand up fans (when we used them). Other than that, I don`t want to always be saying NO NO NO. It`s not nice for him and it`s tiring for me. That`s why I like the keep things safe as much as I can.

Aside from it not being safe to have heaters tucked away somewhere, they`re less efficient than when out in the open.
    But we`ll see what kind of heater we can get and then we`ll just have to deal with it.

My poor baby could hardly sleep half the night last night - I`m sure he was too cold, and was waking up every 10 minutes. Fun night for both of us. I`m wondering if anyone is using some kind of heater in their baby`s room. Is it that bad to use? It`s REALLY COLD!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I think that the age of the child determines whether just saying "no" would work or not. I'm thinking that we'll probably be able to just use the heater (ceramic, that's not very hot on the outside - BUT it is pretty easy to topple over - I'm sure my daughter could push it over), because my daughter is now 13 months and is starting to understand "No, don't touch" and actually listen. Last winter she was only 1-4 months and wasn't mobile enough for the heater to be a hazard. But probably I would guess that just saying "No, don't touch" wouldn't be AS effective for younger mobile kids - around 8-10 months, because they're probably still learning what that means. I know my daughter at that age didn't really get it...

LittleMi is offline Registered User
    Shwetakhanna, Miriam 228 - We have the Daikin split A/C in our living room too, which is great but in our bedrooms we have window mount A/C which have heating option.

Its by General ( Fujitsu ? ) Model type R410A.

It can be a bit noisy ( as with all window type A/Cs ) and of course not as good as the Daikin but it does the job. We & BB were nice and toastie last night!!

gladyswly is offline Registered User
    Shenzhenifer, if your baby is sleeping in a crib, why can't you use a heater in his room? If he is inside the crib then it wouldn't be a safety hazard.

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Shenzhennifer View Post
    thanka2 - boundaries are great and they should be in effect for little ones. But with an apartment so small, with not that many places to explore, I try to let him go around as much as possible. The only time when I get `mean` strict is when he`s touching cords and the stand up fans (when we used them). Other than that, I don`t want to always be saying NO NO NO. It`s not nice for him and it`s tiring for me. That`s why I like the keep things safe as much as I can.

Aside from it not being safe to have heaters tucked away somewhere, they`re less efficient than when out in the open.
    But we`ll see what kind of heater we can get and then we`ll just have to deal with it.

My poor baby could hardly sleep half the night last night - I`m sure he was too cold, and was waking up every 10 minutes. Fun night for both of us. I`m wondering if anyone is using some kind of heater in their baby`s room. Is it that bad to use? It`s REALLY COLD!
    Hmmm...I guess every kiddo is different but I didn't find that I had to say "no" that often because the few times that I did I was firm enough that he decided not to do it again. I just kept an eye on my son and if he got near I would move him away and say "No! Hot!" As I said, my son is one of the most persistent and curious kids I've seen and has been since he was able to crawl and get around and it really hasn't been an issue at all as far as the heater goes. Also, the newer oil heaters don't get that hot on the outside actually (you can lay cloth over them and it's completely safe)--they heat up slowly and then kind of maintain a constant heat that is quite nice--as long as the child isn't making pressured contact with the machine, even a slight touch isn't going to hurt him/her. I recommend the Italian brand Gemini--that's the one my parents-in-law have it it really radiates enough heat that you can "tuck" it safely to the side of the room and within 20 minutes have a large (300-500-square foot) space filled with warmth. I think they are called radiant process heaters. That brand of heater is also safer than the one we use at home and also have never had any problems with my son getting even close to being hurt by it (and my parents-in-law aren't as "watchful" when it comes to that sort of thing as I am either).

I wasn't talking about it being "tucked away"--we don't have the space really to do any "tucking" ourselves and I do agree it's nicer to have them out in the open. But, I did find that if visually my son didn't see it he didn't go searching for it either. So we purposely created visual "blocking" so that the heater wasn't the focus of attention. It worked well for us and we've been using a heater for at least a few months every year since our son was a newborn.

Yes, we are using a heater in our son's room. It sits over by the door and we don't even have to turn it on high to make the room quite warm and cozy. When the weather gets really cold (which in my experience is more like February) we have to co-sleep. Then none of us really get any quality sleep but since we only have one heater we all use it. We bring our son into bed with us and keep the heater in our room and at least we're all toasty--even if our sleep is disturbed. Oh, and our son is still sleeping in a crib so that also makes it safer--yes, he can crawl out but rarely does and never crawls out in the middle of the night--only at naptimes once in awhile.
    Last edited by thanka2; 11-18-2009 at 02:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nicolejoy View Post
    I think that the age of the child determines whether just saying "no" would work or not. I'm thinking that we'll probably be able to just use the heater (ceramic, that's not very hot on the outside - BUT it is pretty easy to topple over - I'm sure my daughter could push it over), because my daughter is now 13 months and is starting to understand "No, don't touch" and actually listen. Last winter she was only 1-4 months and wasn't mobile enough for the heater to be a hazard. But probably I would guess that just saying "No, don't touch" wouldn't be AS effective for younger mobile kids - around 8-10 months, because they're probably still learning what that means. I know my daughter at that age didn't really get it...
    Yes, every little one is different but I can say that even if my son didn't understand the words "no" at 13 months and even at 8 months, he understood the "tone" of "no" and it stopped him in his tracks. :missingto

Oh, here is the website where I found the info. for the Gemini Heater

eCOX Products

Oh, and I forgot, my parents-in-law also have one of these:

???q?P ?x?l Philco Heater

It's an electric fan heater.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast