Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Heaters and Babies

Obiwan is offline Registered User

Yes, we have something similar to what thanka2 posted above. It's effective. There are many options as you can see from the website I attached earlier. If you baby is in the crib, then leaving the heater on the floor should be fine. If the baby can crawl to the heater, then perhaps you can put in higher where baby can't reach?

Obiwan is offline Registered User

I meant the ceramic fan heater, not the oil heater. The oil heater is hot on the surface.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

So I ended up with a Whirlpool digital radiant heater. My husband also bought a small cheapie one from SZ (which works great). Originally I bought a Kelvinator tower ceramic heater but I returned it after a day, still shivering, and bought the radiant heater. We`re very happy with it, and when it gets cold again, we`ll be nice and toasty. My baby has already burned himself on it, but he`s slowly learning not to touch it. He`s a good boy and usually listens to me:)

Thanks for everyone`s responses.

bumbeeno is offline Registered User

What's a digital radiant heater? Sounds really high tech. I only have an old-fashioned oil-filled one. I put it in my baby's room on a really low temperature setting so that it just takes the edge off the cold rather than make the room warm as he is prone to eczema and it would really dry his skin out. Has anyone heard of a 2-in-1 heater + humidifier? I would love to get one of those if they made them!

I also have one of those blower-type heaters, very efficient as it heats up the space quick - good for nappy changes - but they are super-drying and so I don't like using it longer than it takes to quickly warm the area.

carang is offline Registered User

the other thing you could do is get a sheepskin from ikea...

zac08 is offline Registered User

bumbeeno - we bought one of those 2 in 1 heater + humidifiers last winter and it was a disaster, for us at least. We ended up getting big water bubbles on our ceiling which dripped water directly onto our poor baby's head at night. We had to get the entire ceiling re-plastered as a result and the guy who came to do it said that in HK one should never use a humidifier (or at least one as strong as the one we bought!) because the air is so naturally humid already (even with a heater i guess!) that using a humidifier would cause what happened to us to happen (pockets of humidity to form on the walls and ceilings, ruining the paint!!). So i guess it depends on 1) how humid it is where you live, 2) how strong the humidifier is and 3) how large your child's nursery is (ours is about 120 sq feet, maybe smaller).

We now use the Innotec Ceramic Heater (we bought it from Best for under a thousand) which is great because it's not scalding to the touch and the fact that you can set the temperature means that I am not up every hour in the middle of the night to check on how hot/cold his room has become.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Bumbeeno - the digital part is just in lieu of the normal dials. So you can choose the temperature and press a button for low-med-high mode. There`s a couple other features but the old model manual was included by mistake (made in china...). Other than that, it`s the exact same as the others.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234