Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Postpartum Menstruation??

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by LLL_Sarah View Post
    Lactational Amenorrhea Method (LAM) of contraception is actually a very good method and prevents more pregnancies worldwide than any other form of contraception. The guidelines for its use do, however, have to be followed.

For women who meet the criteria (listed below), LAM is 98% - 99.5% effective during the first six months postpartum.

1. Breastfeeding must be the infant's only source of nutrition. Feeding formula, pumping instead of nursing, and feeding solids all reduce the effectiveness of LAM.

2. The infant must breastfeed at least every four hours during the day and at least every six hours at night.

3. The infant must be less than six months old.

4. The mother must not have had a period after 56 days post-partum (when determining fertility, bleeding prior to 56 days post-partum can be ignored).

If, like Thanka2, your periods return before six months you can no longer use LAM. Because the first period is likely to be infertile if it returns before six months you can use the method until your period returns. If your period returns after six months there is a much higher chance that the first period is fertile and so a much higher change of getting pregnant using LAM. And for this reason the method is only recommended for the first six months.

Best wishes,
    SARAH
    The thing is that we don't know for sure if that first period is truly infertile and if you really don't want another pregnancy, why risk it? With the busy lifestyles in HK, I doubt very many women can truly pull off no pumping and no feeding for six months as well as feeding every four hours during the day and congrats to the women who do. I know quite a few mommies who followed the "Ecological Breastfeeding" to a tee and still ended up with an unexpected pregnancy--just saying. That's where it gets tricky--trying to make rules and guidelines for something that is as individual and unpredictable as this. I'd like to hear statistics on the effectiveness of LAM within the stressed-out, "modernized" Western world as I'm sure most studies that show that it is as effective as the pill were performed in cultures not very comparable to that found in HK. Again, just saying.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

Some women are more fertile than others too. One of my friends feel pregnant about 4-5 months after the birth of her child, exclusively breastfeeding, her period hadn't returned yet - TWICE!! She has 3 kids, each are about 14-15 months apart. I think that if you do use the LAM method for contraception, use it knowing that there's a chance of pregnancy (although usually reduced) and if you don't want another baby so soon, probably use back up ;)

Aava.Wong is offline Registered User
    i was worried too (gave birth in june this year) so guess it is normal - liking the "no period" period though!

sorry, this is out of topic but which contraception pill did/do you use while BF? some pills aren't recommended while BF and i still have some packs left which i bought before i got preggie and which im not planning to take after reading its leaflet.

There is a "mini pill" (but see your GP about it) - I think it's progesterone only, not mixed with estrogen too - it's breastfeeding friendly, but a bit less reliable than the estrogen/progesterone pills. Other people use an IUD, others just use condoms... it's very difficult to use "natural family planning" when you're breastfeeding since the periods are still pretty irregular though, I would imagine it would be very difficult to know when you're fertile!!

thanka2 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolejoy View Post
    There is a "mini pill" (but see your GP about it) - I think it's progesterone only, not mixed with estrogen too - it's breastfeeding friendly, but a bit less reliable than the estrogen/progesterone pills. Other people use an IUD, others just use condoms... it's very difficult to use "natural family planning" when you're breastfeeding since the periods are still pretty irregular though, I would imagine it would be very difficult to know when you're fertile!!
    We did NFP while BF and it is difficult--because basically because your hormones are not "normal" your cycles are difficult to "read"--so to be on the side of caution you end up having to be overly cautious. But there is something called the fertility awareness method (FAM) which also uses a barrier method (condoms, diaphragm, cap etc.). It can be pretty frustrating. Man, I'm glad those days of wacky cycles are over!

Aava.Wong is offline Registered User

thanks for the comments, ladies. i'll talk to the gp abt the mini-pill.

Nashua852 is offline Registered User

The mini-pill and depo-provera is available free through the family planning clinic -- other contraceptive methods too, obviously but these were the ones Im considering as I'm BFing.

Actually, I lie. There is a $1 fee - to make it legally binding, I'm assuming. I wish I'd known this earlier!

With my first child I ended up going to the Matilda for my mini pill prescription as at the time it was the only place that stocked it privately. More fool for me..with a three month supply which cost well over $1000 dollars..

Proud Mama to Kian Danyaal 08.12.2007 & Adara Michelle 10.10.2009

Quote Originally Posted by Nashua852 View Post
    The mini-pill and depo-provera is available free through the family planning clinic -- other contraceptive methods too, obviously but these were the ones Im considering as I'm BFing.

Actually, I lie. There is a $1 fee - to make it legally binding, I'm assuming. I wish I'd known this earlier!

With my first child I ended up going to the Matilda for my mini pill prescription as at the time it was the only place that stocked it privately. More fool for me..with a three month supply which cost well over $1000 dollars..
    Actually now that you mention it, I think that they also provide the IUD as well... And you can get something like 20 free condoms a month lol (I wonder how many people go and get their "monthly supply" each month ;) )

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast