Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

My 2yrs old son drinks only 3oz milk a day....

ahlee666 is offline Registered User

My 2yrs old son drinks only 3oz milk a day....

He used to drink about 12 oz of formula aday, however, he starts not drinking formula lately, but he doesnt eat too much solid as well. He is only about 23lbs and havent gained weight since the last 6 months, I notice that he is always the smallest within his age group and even shorter than a 22 months old baby...
    Its not normal right? What should I do?
    He is very playful and energetic though.......

PLease help!!!

Konradsmom is offline Registered User
    hmmmm........my son is 26 months now and JUST weighs 22lbs. He is small in stature and is also the smallest within his age group/classmates, likewise he hasn't gained weight in the past 5months or so. I also hear the same about another friend's daughter of the same age......

My doctor says that there is nothing to worry about as 2 yr olds do lose interest in milk with the intro of other food, and its also common for 2 yr olds not to progress in weight.

having learned not to trust doctors for everything, I also asked a clinical pharmacist/dietician who is also OK with his progress and thinks there is nothing to worry about. I specifically asked her about the milk issue and she is relaxed about his drinking only about 8 oz a day......(ok,,a bit more than your son)

At the end of the day, as long he is eating a balanced diet, the amont of milk does not really matter too much at this age...

yonge is offline Registered User
    Our kids are tiny - on the 3rd and 1st percentile for weight according to the MCHC. According to my pediatrician, as long as they're playful and energetic, you have nothing really to worry about!

geomum is offline Registered User
    My daughter is 20 months old and she weights 28 lbs, but her weight has not increased since the last 4 months or so. There are days when she eats very well/ almost anything (Except fruits which is never) and others when she is on full- on strike (Except milk which she loves). So I guess its quite common of kids that age group to not gain much weight and be fussy about food habits. But then we mums can't stop worrying, can we :)
    Last edited by geomum; 11-18-2009 at 07:56 PM.

sherwes is offline Registered User
    Hi, my 24 month old also drinks very little milk. He does eat his solids well though (including yoghurt and cheese for his calcium needs). I don't think that the amount of milk is an issue so long as he has a well balanced diet otherwise (or, as well balanced as I can make it given his love for sausages and tomota sauce!). Does your son eat a wide variety of solids? Are you stuck for things to feed him? If so, I find that the Annabel Karmel series of recipe books are very good for recipes that toddlers like.

ahlee666 is offline Registered User
    My 27 months old boy has always been a fussy eater. He doesnt eat fruits, veggies nor meat. So i have to blend veggies and meat and mix them into his rice....been doing this everysince he is 1 years old. He favourite is chocolates and biscuits....THankyou Sherwes for your advice, I will buy that Annabels recipe books and try it out!!

aussiegal is offline Registered User
    I wouldn't worry at all. My almost 4 year old son has seriously not put on any weight in almost 2 years. He was a chubby baby (not chubby chubby just a little bit if you know what i mean) and ever since he started walking that's been it. Was 15kgs at 18/20 months and is still 15 kgs. He's very light but very tall. At that age they shouldn't need much milk. Healthy food is more important. My two and a half year old is going down the same path. Hasn't put weight on in one year. In fact he's lost some. As long as our children have energy we don't worry. My husband was a big baby, small toddler and small kid. now he's 6 foot 2. I was tiny baby, small child and now I'm 5, 7. Not huge but definitely not short. We all develop differently.