Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Pros and cons of DB?

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    and if you do like the Aussies do ... you can enjoy a beer on your ferry ride too :)

SB2 - possibly the main inconvenience is the transportation. So if you don't work irregular hours and don't mind watching the ferry schedule, it would probably work fine.

I, personally, prefer places with better accessibility (not that DB is not easily accessible). Some places are more convenient than others. Taxis are generally easy to catch in HK, and with MTR, buses etc, it's easy to get home. One good thing about Central is that, should all things fail (which has happened to me before), you can walk home, and I always enjoy walking, especially on cool days like these :)

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    Thanks all.

Obiwan - I was thinking about what happens in a Typhoon 8?! I assume ferries run for a while or else its MTR to TC and then bus.

On the whole, I think it is probably one of the better places for small children (yes, grass, playrooms, kiddies pools, large paved areas to run around without the same fear of traffic, bigger/low rise apartments) but am still getting my head around the idea so the pros and cons are all very useful.

Good to visit all your options and see for yourself. Do time the journeys too :)

carang is offline Registered User
    when it is believed that a T8 is going to be hoisted, they make announcements on radio and TV as to when the last ferry departs.

Suv
    Suv is offline Registered User
    Why would anyone assume that most of the naysayers are from Midlevels? Part of the problem is how hk island centric Db-ers become or have to become.
    HK is so much bigger than Central, lkf, soho and midlevels or even the southside put together.

I still don't see how and why any of the advantages of Db outweigh the cons.

LeahH is offline Registered User
    I'd reconsider your Pokfulam option. Having moved from the midlevels to Pokfulam when number 2 came along, we feel the difference is huge and worth the extra few mintues in a cab.

That said, my commute home is 15 mins from IFC to Pokfulam - pretty much the same as it was in the midlevels. 20 mins max from home to IFC during rush hour in the morning.

Open/green views, sea breeze, wide open streets for walking with the stroller, great Park n Shop, grassy play areas, a dog park and a wise kids play room at Cyberport plus Playtown in nearby Kennedy town and of course Ocean Park.

there are some excellent low rise options around and a real sense of community in many developments.

carang is offline Registered User
    i don't see how dbers become hk-centric at all... there is a bus to tung chung and one to sunny bay... i know many dbers that head that way instead of to hk island...

as for nay-sayers... most of them ARE from hk island, perhaps not the mid-levels.

just browse this forum and you will see lots of hk islanders afraid to make the trip to kowloon, actually afraid to go to places like mongkok and sham shui po on their own.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast