Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Growth/Dev Checks and Vaccinations

canadianinhk is offline Registered User

I should clarify. I had a good experience for birth etc at Queen Mary and my son was in the Special Care unit after and they did a great job. If he was really sick I would go through the public system but for the regular appointments I really wanted someone who knew me and my son and who I could ask all of my million questions to. And I really found the nurses at the government clinic (the day I went) uncaring and rushed...as a new mom I needed more hand holding.

KKKK is offline Registered User

We paid for a package (for 5 visits) and an annerley midwife (always the same person and you get to meet them before the birth) would come to our house and have a cup of tea and a chat about any of my concerns - they would also weigh the baby if I wanted them to.

Really recommend it they are all lovely.

TeamNZ is offline Registered User

I gave birth at Prince of Wales and had all subsequent checkups through the Mother & Child Heath Centre.

I found the public health system really thorough, I never had any concern about the level of care or attention to detail, everything seemed to be double-checked.

Yes, the experience of waiting at the MCHC on some days was noisy, busy and very much "take a number". Definitely take a book - (although we did one private visit and the process seemed to take just as long.) Hubby took our newborn once as I was back at work and he also made the comment about their thoroughness.

When in with the nurses I found them all to be very kind and attentive. If you have any questions I suggest make a list before you go as it can get a little overwhelming in there and it is so easy to forget.

I cannot compare with Private for the whole process but can certainly reassure you that the Public system, is efficient and for me a pleasant experience.

Quick note, upon return to NZ we discovered that although it seemed as though our DD had had a significant amount of vaccinations here, she was actually behind based on the NZ system.

Dependent on your future plans you may want to investigate the vaccinations of your final home destination and see how they line up with HK. You can always do top-ups privately, or simply leave to when (and if ) you relocate.

Best of luck

mcdill is offline Registered User

Are there any Well Baby Clinics around Central (as I work in Central)?
    I like the idea of having thorough checkups - if I go to the nearest MCHC, will it be ok I don't know how to speak Cantonese?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12