Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Schools guide

Babington is offline Registered User
    Hi Sweta,

In short, if your child is enjoying the social interactions and can cope with the demands of education at playgroups then I would suggest you should apply for nursery earlier rather than later.

From a theoretical perspective, if you can get your child through or partly through the normalisation period (when a child gets familiar with the classroom settings and the understands the social structure of class and the common class etiquette) then your child can focus more of her energy on the learning. Children who have a tough emotional time getting through the normalisation period (those who cry a lot) would not be able to learn as efficiently as they are emotionally distracted and when they cry they expend a lot of energy and then they get tired because crying is tiring and thus they have less energy to learn!...and let's not forget that learning takes a lot of energy at their age!

You need to ask yourself if your child is independent enough? Can she work on her own? Can she work in groups? Can she follow a schedule? does she have enough stamina?

Children develop at different speeds from one to another so the 2.5Y.O entry to nursery is just a guideline. However, in the practical world of HK, you might want to be quicker than later.

Hope that helps

Babington

Sedenya is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by soon2bmom View Post
    Yonge, thank you so much for the details. And the SCMP guide is a good start. Thanks for all the replies.

Sedenya, we must be in very similar situations. My boy is also 13months now and we are also in TC ( I read your other thread about DMK and Sunshine House). We are looking for an English speaking kindie, too.
    Soon2bmom,

Yes then we are on the same boat. Went to DMK last week, gave them 50$ and still haven't heard from them. The supervisor, Kabeeta, assured me she'd call the following day! Knowing they must be busy, I had waited.... But hmm... no news!

It would have been really convenient but seeing that, I don't feel like pushing. But other options are: Sun Island (don't like it), Sunshine House (don't know much about their Putonghua Classes) and NAAC (ONLY plus point is learning canto and mandarin)!!! So what have you finally decided? Have you found any other EMI Kindie?

Any Clue...now???

soon2bmom is offline Registered User
    Sedenya,

hey, that's funny, I also went to DMK last week to check it out, the receptionist just gave me a folder containing some enrolment info and asked me to leave my details since "the director will give you a call". Guess what, no one has called. Big, big, huge turn off for me.

I will try to find time to check out Sunshine House some time this week. Not really keen on Sun Island either, sigh, but maybe I need to keep it on my list since there aren't really too many choices for us in TC.

I just told my husband today that maybe we need to cnsider kindies that are further, since it looks like most good kindies people talk about on forums are either on HK island or Kowloon Tong...... Another big sigh....

Soon2bmom,

I just sent you a PM.

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Some more considerations--be aware costs are the school fee, the miscellaneous fees, plus the possibilty of capital levys and debentures.
    Half day versus full day has a big impact on cost, with the half day places usually--but not always--costing about half as much.
    The student:teacher ratio needs to also take into account the number of assistants used.
    Most, but not all, places provide bus services usually through an independent company at an additional cost.
    And you are going to get different answers with regard to homewrok, the amount of foreign language instruction and the student body diversity in the school.
    Plus you have to visit these places because not everyone will be a good fit for your child and some can be quickly eliminated.

Capital levys/Debentures?

Hi Sleuth,

Can you tell what's the difference between capital levys and debentures?

lottieclee is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedenya View Post
    You are an Angel Yonge!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for taking the time. My son is 13 months now and will be 23 months (under 2) next September 2010, so I guess according to what u wrote I will not be abble to unroll him in a Nursery.????

You will probably still be able to start nursery. you would need to arrange it with the school. Tutortime (where my son is at at the moment) lets children join when they reach 2 even if it is in October. And I have heard many schools, local and international, are the same.

lottieclee is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedenya View Post
    Hi Sleuth,

Can you tell what's the difference between capital levys and debentures?

Capital Levy is a lump sum that you need to pay either annually or periodically to keep your child at school and you don't get this payment back.

Debenture is like "shares" you need to buy from the school, it is usually non-interesting bearing and when your child leaves school, you get the value of the debenture back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast