Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

ESF admission help, I'm confused?

babymommy2 is offline Registered User

ESF admission help, I'm confused?

We are looking into moving to Hong Kong for 6 months to a year to look after a dying parent and I am trying to figure out what to do about school and whether it is even possible

. I've looked at the ESF website and it looks like children born 2005 enter year one next fall, My child is a Jan 2004 birth so presumably he would enter year 2 next fall? The thing is, he is currently in Kindergarten in Canada and should go into grade 1 in the fall. Are the years in ESF equivalent to grade levels in Canada? My other child is a 2006 birth and the plan hear would be to send him to his second year of preschool next fall, and K the following year, but looks like in Hk he would have to enter K next fall. How strict are they on birth year?

Also it says that you interview in Jan for the following year, what if you do not live there yet? Do they have to take you if you don't know enough chinese to cope in the regular system, or would we be out of luck and have no schooling at all for our children. What happens to kids that move mid year?

They do not have HK id cards, are these required to go into ESF. I was hoping to enter Hong KOng as a visitor. They possibly could get them, as my husband has a card, grew up there and is Chinese, but what a hassle, I haven't looked into that part yet, so not sure if it is possible or not.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User

Your 2004 child would enter Year 2 in August. My 2004 born has currently started Year 1. You would have to contact the school in the area you think you're going to live, since Year 2 spots are not always easy to get, but should be doable with people leaving over the summer. My twins are 2006 born and I need to apply in September for 2011/2012 spots. They're now in preschool. They'll be in Preschool another year next school year. The birth year is pretty strict for ESF (my twins are November born so I am slightly concerned since they'll be young), but I am just going with the flow since we're not going to be here forever.

But of course, they're plenty of other options besides ESF and they go by different years (usually September - September birthdays), so you can look at Delia or CDNIS if you're looking for the Canadian curriculum. Plenty of choices!

The interview is mainly for English language purposes, which shouldn't be a problem in your case, but talk to the school directly.

We entered HK as visitors and changed our status while being here before our visas expired.

babymommy2 is offline Registered User

Was there any problem to start school as visitors? I;ve looked at teh immigration website and it doesn't look like it will be a problem to get Hk id cards for the children.

Unfortunatley a private school is well out of our budget, ESF is bad enough and already more than we can afford.

If I am reading this right your 2006 children will go to preschool in 2010/11, then Kindergarten in 11/12, and year one 12/13? Or is Kindergarten the same as preschool in this system?

Does anyone have expereince with your child having had to skip an entire grade when coming to Hk, becuase of differeing cut off dates? How did it go, what problems came up? I just can't imagine going straight from K to grade 2, his reading skills will not be up to par. Math he'd probably do okay in as seems to be ahead there, but reading definately not.

rani is offline Administrator

The 2006 twins will start Y1 in 2011.

The schools will interview the child and will recommend which Year the child should go into. If your child can't read, there's a good chance he'd go into Y1. However Y1 places are harder to come by.

Whereabouts will you be living? Maybe we can recommend some schools in your area.

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User

That makes sense, that's why we chose ESF, because it's fairly affordable and still good education. My twins will start in 2011, like Rani said. Preschool / KG, about the same for me, different names. They just started in K1, K2 next year, then off to Year 1.

My oldest is now learning to read and write, so I can imagine, as Rani said, your child won't be able to start in Year 2 if he can't read or write. My oldest gets a book home every day, we practice reading and writing of "sight" words every week, etc.

But again, Year 1 spots for next year 2010/2011 are being interviewed this January. My experience is they'll keep spots open for late interviews, etc. but I would start contacting schools ASAP. What area are you looking at to live?