Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

dry winter skin

miriam228 is offline Registered User

Yonge, is there one especially for babies or just the adult one is also suitable for infants?

yonge is offline Registered User

Cetaphil doesn't seem to have an adult/child version. It doesn't have any fragrance, so there really is no reason to differentiate (other products' child versions usually just means they use less fragrance). Hope this helps. I also just replied to your other post.

Ok, thanks Yonge! Will give it a try after we finish our Johnson's Milk Bath! Where can I get it, btw?

Query is offline Registered User

My son's got slight ezcema and his skin is very dry. I've tried all the creams mentioned previously but the best method I've found is slab sugar which you can get for $6 a pack from the supermarket. Melt some slab sugar in a little bit of water and when cooled, pour a couple of tablespoon in the bath, depending on the amount of water you have. The water should be a pale yellow colour and only slightly sweet. Sometimes I add a couple of drop of QV oil if the weather is particularly dry. No need to rinse. The skin comes out soft and very smooth. Better than any cream I've tried and very cheap too!! Such a wonderful old remedy!! I usually melt the whole pack and put the melted sugar in a glass jar. A pack of sugar should last about a week .

Sounds interesting Query! However, my daughter's face is dryer than her body. Can I use this method for her face?

yonge is offline Registered User

@Miriam228, Cetaphil is available at any pharmacy. Watson's and Mannings definitely carry it. I had one paediatrician that warned me that Johnson's and Johnson's fragrance is pretty strong and a lot of children do react to it. Why don't you finish it up yourself and get your daughter the Cetaphil?

I would think the sugar remedy would be fine on the face - completely organic and probably tasty, too. The bittergourd remedy that we use is fine for the face, but won't taste as good. :)

By the way, I couldn't find the trail on eczema that I wrote you earlier, but I meant to say that you should be going to the paediatrician only after you've tried identifying the allergen - e.g., soap, food, formula, clothing, temperature, humidity, etc. Most pediatricians will ask that you do this anyway before they're willing to prescribe a topical steroid for so young a child. This should save you a trip!

Thanks for the very useful info Yonge!!!

bumbeeno is offline Registered User

Hi Miriam,

Just wanted to add to yonge's very sensible advice :) I have bottles of baby toiletries which are unopened or only slightly used because my baby was diagnosed with eczema at a few weeks of age. As we were already seeing a paediatrician for his growth checks and vaccinations, he proceeded to treat the eczema. Not sure how old your baby is but my baby's skin was really dry almost from birth and then he was diagnosed with eczema. We never bathe him with soap as it is not only drying to the skin, sometimes they contain all sorts of things which irritate sensitive skin. So if your baby's skin is already very dry, I wouldn't wait to finish the bottle of J&J before trying something else. Sometimes the soap itself might be the very cause?

Aqueous cream is a good moisturiser (you can use it all over the body and face) if you suspect sensitivity to other products. You can even make up more concentrated versions of aq. cream using the ointment base if your baby's skin is really dry (which was what we were advised to do). You can use the same ointment base as a soap substitute.

On identifying the allergen, one way to do so is to eliminate them one at a time - not all at once otherwise you won't know which one's responsible. But in my opinion, if your baby subsequently breaks out in a rash that doesn't go away in a few days, I would go see the doctor about it - if it's eczema, the best treatment is to treat it as early as possible and not let it deteriorate!

Having said all that, your baby may only be having a case of dry skin - hope that's the case! All the best.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast