Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

PIPS Kowloon vs. Victoria Harbor Green vs. Learning Habitat

OlympicMom is offline Registered User

PIPS Kowloon vs. Victoria Harbor Green vs. Learning Habitat

Hi everyone,

My son is 17 months old. We are looking into pre-nursery for him and would like to get some advice. As we are at Olympic Station, I'm looking into PIPS Kowloon, Victoria Harbor Green and Learning Habitat at Hampton Place given the convenience.

For PIPS Kowloon, I saw some not so flattering comments on this site. Anyone has more recent experience that they can share? I'm also a little confused about their debenture system. Why is International Stream (Eng and Mandarin) so much more expensive than the Local Stream (Eng, Mandarin and Cantonese)? Local Stream has a requirement to finish K3 while Intl Stream only needs to finish K2. Also what's the point of debentures anyways? They are refundable and don't guarantee anything.

If you have experience with Victoria Harbor Green and Learning Habitat, I'd love to hear about them. Any advice/recommendation you can give would be greatly appreciated! Also anyone sends their little ones to Kowloon Tong for schooling? Would it be very inconvenient from Olympic or Kowloon Station?

Thanks a lot!

Gabriel ma is offline Registered User
    If you prefer your child goes to local primary schools (especially those DSS / private schools), Victoria Harbour Green and Learning Habitat should be a better choice than PIPS. LHK students learn both Chinese (Cantonese / PTH) and English. I think PIPS is teaching English only.

Gabriel ma is offline Registered User
    學之園 - 蠶寶寶

第六十一屆香港學校音樂節優勝者音樂會 - 學之園 Learning Habitat - 蠶寶寶

YouTube - sing1226's Channel

:cheerlead

ctcfriends is offline Registered User
    which one did you ended up enrolling your son? Any recent review on these three schools? I am planning to move there in January and appreciate any recommendation

marie313 is offline Registered User
    PIPS has english, bilingual and trilingual classes. The local stream is cheaper because it has a higher student teacher ratio than the international stream. My friend's son goes there and she always has good things to say about it.

shenwen is offline Registered User
    my experience of pips has been good. my 3 year old started at playgroup and is now now in local stream. As English and Mandarin are his first languages, the additional Cantonese is something we are very keen on.

My only experience of Learning Habitat was the interview process. And that really says it all - an interview held over one hour for an 18 month old! It was a real eye opener, and not in a good way. If you believe trying to coach an 18 month old to pass interview tests is a good way to start their education process then LH could be for you. We walked out in shock when the teacher became impatient because our son wouldn't answer her direct questions and instead wanted to play with a car. At that point we kind of thought their pedagogy might not be quite what we were looking for.

Since then, he has settled very well at PIPS. Absolutely loves his teachers and enjoys learning through fun. he is three years old after all. we are also very happy with his development, especially his language acquisition. We have some issues - the student-teacher ratio is too high - but are happy with the choice. And despite the fact LH is on our doorstep, we won't be going back.