Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What tog sleeping bag?

BertieB is offline Registered User

What tog sleeping bag?

I am due in mid February and looking at getting one of the sleeping bags for our little one. But, since it's our first baby, and we have only been in HK for a few months, I'm not sure how cold it gets and what tog I should go for - 1 or 2.5? Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by rani; 11-24-2009 at 11:40 AM. Reason: fixed smilie

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    Hi BertieB

I would not recommend using a grobag for a newborn. We swaddled our baby for the first 6 months (but some people swaddle for less time) as it keeps them feeling snug and secure. If a newborn has their arms free then they can scare themselves as they are not aware that their arms are part of them! I have heard people say that their babies do not like swaddling but we had no trouble. I also had my first baby in Feb and we used a swaddle blanket to wrap the baby and then an aercell blanket from Mothercare over the top. The aercell blankets have holes in them so if the blanket ends up over the baby's face, they should still be able to breathe ok.

We did not use a grobag until after 6 months.

SB2

rani is offline Administrator
    Grobag recommends using a sleeping bag after 10 weeks.
    As it will be getting warmer by April, would recommend a 1.0Tog

rani is offline Administrator
    Also have a read through this thread on room temps

room temp, sleepwear and bedding!

yonge is offline Registered User
    BertieB, you may find that your child will only fall asleep well in a swaddle, as my second one did. It made a huge difference for me for him to sleep 3-5 hours swaddled vs. 1-2 hours not swaddled as a newborn. I swaddled for three months or for as long as he could still fit snuggly in a swaddling blanket. By May, I think you'll find it too warm for a sleeping bag; in fact, am pretty sure that you'll be using the aircon by then. We set the airon to about 25 degrees. Mine would sleep in a onesy and diaper throughout the summer - which is technically May to November here; winter came a bit early this year. By Dec, you may be comfortable using a blanket instead.

Are you considering a tog because of SIDS? For that, I would recommend the Graco Angelcare Movement Monitor. I don't know if you can get it here or not as I ordered it from the States, but it gave me real peace of mind. Basically, it'll alert you if the baby doesn't move for 20 seconds, and I've never had a false alarm.

Flack is offline Registered User
    BertieB we had the opposite of Starbucks2. Our baby did not sleep swaddled (she fought to get her arms out and then the whole thing would come off) and as soon as we put her in a grobag she slept much better. We bought the newborn size and as soon as she was big enough (3-4 weeks from memory) she went into it. (The grobag website advises after 4kg is fine for a grobag as long as it can not go over their face)
    We initially used a 0.5 tog until about 2 weeks ago and are now using a 2.5 tog. We just vary what she wears under it according to the temp.

zac08 is offline Registered User
    Same experience as Flack - our baby HATED being swaddled after about 3 weeks and slept like a dream after we put him in his grobag starting at about one month of age. There was no way the grobag could go over his face (i don't see how it could, the way they are designed) so that was certainly never a concern for us. in fact, we were more concerned about his swaddle becoming undone during his sleep and causing injury.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    yonge and BertieB - we bought the Tommee Tippee sound and motion monitor which sounds similiar to the Angelcare one that yonge was referring to. It has a sensor pad you put under the cot mattress and an alarm will sound if there has not been movement (which includes slight movement for breathing etc) in a set period - probably also 20 sec I am guessing. GREAT peace of mind for me esp as a first time Mum. The part of the monitor in our room blinked a red light every time the monitor picked up movement (breathing) so if I was stressing out, I only needed to look at that red light and take comfort.

If you go with a grobag or equivalent, there is a great reference on the grobag website in the FAQ section which sets out what the baby should wear under the grobag depending on (a) the temp of the room and (b) the tog rating on the bag. Very very useful.

SB2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast