Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

ESF Year 1 interview

mommyboy is offline Registered User

ESF Year 1 interview

Hi there,

My little boy is going to have an ESF Year 1 interview in this coming January. Does anyone knows what sorts of questions will be asked? The letter (ESF interview invitation) says that it is going to be an informal 'play' situation. However, I would like to know if there is any one to one interview and what questions are normally asked. Many Thanks.

kiwiinoz is offline Registered User
    I don't know if all the ESF schools are the same, however our interview last year focused on comprehension and use of the english language. Our interview had about 10 kids. We as parents waited in the school lobby while the kids were taken to a classroom with several teachers.
    They do talk to the kids one on one, but while sitting in a small group of their peers/friends, so our daughter was never 'alone'. My daughter was asked to draw her family and asked questions about the drawing. They also had cards with animals (like horses) they had to name in a game situation. They were read a story as a group and asked questions. That kind of thing. My daughter had a lot of fun and actually didn't want to leave the school when we had finished.
    I stressed a lot over the interview, but at the end of the day, if your child is a native english speaker, I don't think they will have any problems.
    Good luck!

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    That sounds very similar to what we have experienced last year. Also, the lower school principal visited our preschool so they had a chance to see the kids in their own environment prior to the interview. It's really about English and basic social skills.

mommyboy is offline Registered User
    Thanks a lot for sharing. I am not really worried about his english, although neither his daddy nor myself is native english speaker. However, my boy is a very quiet person(rather shy I must say) when it comes to meet new faces(which I truely believe it's normal). It took him more than 2 months to start to speak with his K1 classmates and he rarely answered the teachers at the beginning. But now, he is fine in kindy.
    I totally understand that I can't do much about it as this is his personallity. Can anyone suggest how I can prepare or what I should say to encourage my boy to coperate with this interview? Millions Thanks.

HK2008 is offline Registered User
    Hi mommyboy,
    I'm in exactly the same situation as you. My DD is also having an interview with ESF in coming Jan. and what makes me worry is not only she's shy, she'd cry out loud if we leave her and let her be taken away from us and into a separate room...I cannot imagine what the teacher might think if she starts throwing in a temper on the spot and clutching onto my clothes with tears streaming down her face..

Anyway, I'm trying to prepare her a bit by telling her if she doesn't 'behave' during the interview, she'd have no school to attend(I know, bad stratedy, however I don't know what else I can do to help her get the idea)

rani is offline Administrator
    The Y1 interviews are conducted in groups, with kids from the same kindergarten and class. So your child should recognize a few familiar faces. If you know of any other kids being interviewed with her, would suggest organizing a few playdates beforehand.

Good luck!

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    I shared your concerns since my oldest was very slow to warm up. Check with your current preschool whether ESF will visit them, because that is what happened in our case. The zone school's lower school principal came, observed the kids, spoke to the teachers and the children (in a group setting) so even if they do act up in a new environment, they'll have something to compare. Next to that, I think they've seen it all. My child is actually better without me being there, and although she acted really weird after the interview it turned out an hour later that she did participate quite well.

katyw is offline Registered User
    As Rani said they should already know some of the children in the group.

My son is now in Year 1 and in his interview there were around 10 children. At least 8 were from his class.

They divided them into 2 groups of 5. One group stayed in the classroom and drew pictures. During this time the teacher came around and chatted to them about what they had drawn.

After this they went out into the playground onto the climbing frames and another teacher observed how they played and interacted with each other.

It was very, very easy and laid back. I wound myself up so much about it last January but wish I hadn't.

Good Luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast