Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Cut on Baby`s Face not healing

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Cut on Baby`s Face not healing

A few days ago, my baby climbed out of the tub and fell on his face and cut himself(daddy left the bathroom for a second to turn on the heater, despite themany warnings never to leave baby alone in the bath...sigh).
    Now my son has a 1 cm horizontal cut below his nose (like a little mustache). The problem is it won`t heal because he keeps on scratching off the scabs that form. I tried a few times to put a bandage on it but he tears it off straight away. So all I do is clean it with antiseptic solution given to me by his doctor, then I put Dettol antiseptic cream on it, and that`s all I can do...
    I`m really worried that it will leave a permanent scar on his beautiful little face...
    Does anyones have any advice, please?
    Thank you.

Aava.Wong is offline Registered User
    aww no! poor baby. i dont think there will be a permanent scar coz sounds like it was a little cut, not like a deep gash. if it had needed stitches then i would be more worried. maybe try using vaseline on the cut especially to get rid of the dry itchy scabs.

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    oh poor little thing! I would make sure his fingernails are cut really short which might help him stop scratching off the cuts. If you can find Lucas Paw Paw ointment that is good for cuts and grazes. You can try rubbing Vitamin E oil around the area of the cut (not on the cut) just buy the capsules and prick them with a pin. This will keep the area moist because when its dry thats when the scabs get itchy.

Thanks for the suggestions. I`ve started putting vaseline on it and I`ll look for the vitamin E oil - good call on that.
    I will just cross my fingers that it doesn`t scar.

csj
    csj is offline Registered User
    Not sure if your baby's cut is healed but perhaps try Mercurochrome (also known as Eosine solution) --you can find it easily at Manning's or Watson's with the rubbing alcohols section. It's really good and rapidly heals cuts and minor injuries, and umbilical cord as well (we used it and it sped up the drying out of the cord). It's however awfully red and stains things quickly so use a Q-tip and dab the cut twice a day. Then wipe the excess if any.
    To avoid scars, avoid sunlight for at least 6 months on the affected area (apply a very good sunblock), or else the place where the cut was would be darker than baby's normal skin color and this darker color will never fade.

yonge is offline Registered User
    I use tree tree oil as an antiseptic for the children's cuts, because it doesn't sting. The "liquid skin" sprays will also accelerate healing after it has been cleaned, but many of these sting. I use Op-site spray in an emergency - when the skin has been grazed and would otherwise develop into a weeping wound, such as the kind on the elbows and knees. The sting is much better than the pain you would get from the weeping and delayed healing! If there is still redness around the wound and it is warmer than the surrounding skin to the touch, you may have a bacterial infection there. Usually, your immune system will be able to fight it off after a week or so, but you can also apply a topical antibiotic like Bactroban. Good luck!

Thanks - it seems to be getting better, though is far from gone. I still don`t know if it will scar, but at least the cut is closed now and out of danger for infection (remind me to cut his fingernails again today). I`ve just been using vaseline on the cut to keep it from drying up.