Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Do you give your baby pacifier??

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    A friend of a friend used to leave about 5 dummies lying around the cot so that when the baby lost one or threw it out of the cot, there would be another one there. She said it was so stressful lying in bed listening and counting how many had been thrown out of the cot so that she knew when she heard all 5 hit the floor, then she'd have to get out of bed and get her!!

yonge is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    Bought a few, but didn't get much (proper) use out of them. I think I introduced them too late (~2 weeks)? My first was always very quiet, but the second will play with the pacifier by yanking it with his mouth or chewing it furiously. Both only fell asleep at the breast, so I had to get up plenty of times anyway!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    North Point
    My daughter never took it until she was about 2-3 months old, then she loved it! She still loves it at 13 months old, but I don't let her have it unless she's sleeping (or in rare situations, if she's sick or if she hurt herself). I too don't like seeing older kids with them. And I have to admit, starbucks2 - I put two dummies in the cot and listen to hear if they both have fallen (or been thrown!) out of the cot.

I'd like to take the dummy away but I don't think that now is the best time. I'd like to try to somehow stop the 3am feed first! (that's the only time she's still breastfeeding) and I figure let's just take it one step at a time! But I definitely want to take it away by age 2!!

arleneli is offline Registered User
    My daughter had it when she was about 2 months old. She had natal teeth and sucking her fingers/thumbs cause bleeding. When she was about 1.5 years old we went on a holiday, and I forgot to bring it. She was soooo happy that she forgot about it completely. She didnt ask for it when we came back. That's how we got rid of it :) However, having pacifier actually bad for teeth. Both my nephew's front teeth werent straight because of it. Didnt happen to my daughter as she had teeth from the day she was born.

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    We bought a pacifier just to have one. I was really reluctant to give it to our son, but my husband tried to give it to him once or twice when he was a few weeks old and when he was crying really loudly. But he never really liked it so we don't use it. He does put his hands in his mouth, but when he first started doing that, we would take his hand out of his mouth and tell him not to do it. He still occasionally puts his hands in his mouth, but we leave it most of the time now as he only does it once in awhile. Frankly, I don't think that you can stop them from putting their hands in their mouth. Also, as they get older, they will put EVERYTHING they can get there hands on in their mouth as my 8 month old son is doing now.

premama is offline Registered User
    I read some articles saying that it's not appropriate to give a pacifier for breastfeeding babies until after 6-8 weeks. Is that right?

Also, when is it appropriate to give a baby a pacifier? I have a 2 month old who is usually very calm during the day but sometimes gets fussy in the evenings. When he is fussy, I have to feed him every 1/2 hour to an hour and towards the end, he doesn't really feed but just wants to suck on my breast to go to sleep. He will also usually cry himself to sleep. I am thinking of giving him a pacifier for those times - but how do I know if he's not actually still hungry?

carang is offline Registered User
    Sai Kung
    i gave my daughter a pacifier when she was 4 days old. she just would not stop sucking. for her it was a comfort thing. she was comfortable, but I was not. i could not handle being her 24 hr/day pacifier. it was the BEST thing i ever did when she was a tiny baby.

she had absolutely no problems whatsoever with breastfeeding. she went from the bottom 2% to 50% in the first 8 weeks.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12