Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Xmas in Beijing witha a toddler

shwetakhanna is offline Registered User

Xmas in Beijing witha a toddler

Hi.

We are planning to travel to beijing around Xmas time with our 22 month daughter. We expect the temp will be around -5to-8 degrees during the day. Was wondering what all to take along. Also how to dress up the baby - should we take big down jackets or should we put on 2-3 jackets? Its easy to pack the baby in layers here in hongkong but for such extreme weather, if we put on 2-3 sweaters or jackets, i find it a little bulky and the child is also not comfortable going around. What do you think?

Looking for advice from parents who have travelled to such cold places with toddlers.
    Also is beijing stroller friendly?

Thanks

Shweta

Neha is offline Banned

Thermals are important and then layers

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User

We lived in Chicago and all 3 children were born there. We've had temps as low as -30 and as high as 40C! I highly recommend a footmuff for your toddler. It's way easier and it's warm and you can basically have her wear her regular (warm) clothes underneath. With a winter coat for the top, but then if you enter somewhere, you don't have to bother with too many layers. Then buy a good hat which goes over the ears (preferably with a strap), a scarf and gloves (this is hard ... I would usually strap the footmuff so tight that they couldn't get their hands out.

Mine lived in Target-type UGGs with zippers on the side. Easy to get on, warm and cute looking even if it's not freezing.

Take a rain cover for the stroller for really cold/strong winds.

I attached a picture of my now 5 1/2 when she was 10 months in Washingon DC ... pretty cold day ...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Foot Muff.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	53.0 KB 
ID:	553  

shwetakhanna is offline Registered User

Is beijing a stoller friendly place? Coz my daughter just hates sitting in the stroller, she just wants to run around on her own. So if its a hssle taking the stroller around, would prefer not to take it from here.
    Here in HK, its easier to go around with the stroller, so i don't mind taking it even if she is not sitting in it.
    But yes if i take the stroller, i'll take along the footmuff and rain cover.
    thanks

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User

I've been there pre-kids almost 10 years ago (need to go back with kids). I cannot imagine going to a large city and expecting a 22 mo to walk most of the time. My oldest was/is a great walker but at that age, you can't expect them to walk everywhere. especially when it's cold, possibly skipping a nap, needing to go a little faster, etc. Also it may not be safe for her to walk around everywhere.