Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Curtains and Lights in a rented apartment

anbrasia is offline Registered User

Curtains and Lights in a rented apartment

HI all,

I will move to HK next month and already found an apartment, but it is a totally "naked" one. Regarding my agent, it is very common that owner will not provide any curtains and lights in the apartment, which means I have to buy them by myself! Big task!

So, here are the questions.

1. Where do you usually go to buy curtains and lights for your rented apartment? How much will be the average expense? any good place to recommend?

2. What do you do with curtains and lights once you have to move out?

3. Anyone can recommend good second hand curtains and lights market for me?

Thanks.

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Some apartments come with curtains, others don't. Most apartments will have lights though. Given that it's a rented apartment, you may not want to spend too much money, unless you intend to stay there for a long time :)

1. You can get basic lights from IKEA. You can get curtains there as well. If you want more fancy ones, there are quite a few curtain shops in Queens Road East. Cost will very much depend on the material. For a space of 800sf with big windows, if you choose a decently thick material, can cost you about HKD5,000. Again, very hard to provide a good estimate, without knowing the size of your windows, the material you like, and whether you are going to put in black-out.

2. You can take them with you when you move, but most will not do so, as they probably won't fit your new apartment.

You may wish to negotiate with your landlord to provide these for you? It's a reasonable request .. at least for the lights!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Do you mean that only the light bulbs are showing?

I would actually hesitate to ask my landlord to install curtains and light fixtures.
    I moved into a completely furnished place and some of my least favourite things are the HIDEOUS curtains and AWFUL chandeliers and light fixtures. Along with some of the furniture, I`m always embarrassed when people come over and I feel the need to explain to them that it`s already been furnished and `decorated`.
    I cannot understand some people`s sense of `style`.
    So although the price is not the cheapest to buy new curtains and lights, it is nice to look around you and like what you see.

anbrasia is offline Registered User
    Dear Obiwan and Jennifer,

Thank you for your replies. yes, I understand it can be much better if we fit the curtains and lights based on our one taste. However, thinking I will only be there two years or even less, really do not want to spend big money there. So I think I will give IKEA a try.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    For curtains, you could go up to Shenzhen (just across the border into Mainland China) and have them made. The apartment that we are in now is the first time we have not been provided with curtains so we had some made in Shenzhen. Much cheaper than HK and a wide selection of fabrics. Not sure how much IKEA is for curtains.

Definitely try IKEA for light shades etc. Again, our current apartment didn't have any light shades just light bulbs. We didn't bother with light shades. Got some dimmer light bulbs and are fine so shades not necessary if you don't want to spend $$$.

SB2

arleneli is offline Registered User
    Ikea isnt cheap compared to local store. The local do the installation for you too. For lightning, those shops in Mongkok offer big selection.... they are not expensive and do the installation as well.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    light covers from ikea - ours also only had the bulbs.

curtains all custom made at Flourish in Central on Li Yuen Street. It was so much easier than at Ikea. he came to measure, installed then de-installed. he also does most ex-pat bldings so knows many of the floorplans already. if you are living in a large blding, re-selling them will be easy. we posted a few weeks before leaving and sold all of our curtains to another family moving in 3 weeks after us. it was perfect timing.

but if u can - i would try and negotiate in your lease curtains.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    our people found our curtains on craiglist HK, but also check asiaxpat.com and geoexpat.com for 2nd hand curtains.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast