Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

How many times and how much milk do you give for you baby from 12 months up?

southside852 is offline Registered User

my son at 18 months had 3 milk bottles which was a total of about 15 - 18 oz.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by LeahH View Post
    Nicolejoy - is that one feed in the morning or night - how long does she feed for? I'm currently BF my 9 month old morning and night but looking to wean one of the them.

Both his morning and night are pretty quick now - maybe only 2 mins of strong sucking each side. I worry that it's not enough - although he get's 1 x bottle in the day and eats three meals.
    Actually, the one feed is in the middle of the night!! No fun. But around 11 months, she was still on 4-5 feeds a day, then I dropped the ones that were first thing in the morning and also in the afternoon, then the two daytime feeds that she was having were 11am before her nap, and 8pm before bed. I dropped the 11am one and she still went to sleep with no problems, so I also dropped the 8pm one and she also had no problems going to sleep.

She's woken in the middle of the night since she was about 7-8 months, had one "midnight snack" and then slept the rest of the night. Before this, she was sleeping through - but overall not as long. Now she's in bed for total 12 hrs at night with one feed half way. I've thought about weaning her off that feed - but breastfeeding is the fastest way for her to get back to sleep, so in the short term, it's easier than NOT breastfeeding her. I'm going to wait another month and see what happens with it, but then maybe try harder to get rid of it. For now it's not a huge issue because she's back asleep within 10 min or so...

leelsahy is offline Registered User

nicolejoy - my girl also wakes up in the midnight for 'snack'. she's now 12-month and i'm feeding her monring and before bed (at around 9pm). i also want her to sleep through the night and cut that midnight feed but bf is really the easier way to settle her. we saw doctor yesterday for 12-mth vaccination and he suggested me to cut that by giving water instead. i doubt if it will work cos she just yells for mama until i begin to nurse

and by giving only one feeding, you can still maintain the milk supply?

megan2008 is offline Registered User

my daughter went to morning and bedtime bottle at 12 months; she is also at the 90th percentile for height/weight so not sure if that makes a difference. the doctor also suggested to stop using the bottle and switch to a sippy cup but I am going to wait until she is 18 months

yonge is offline Registered User

Our younger son was only taking a total of 6-8 oz in 3-4 servings a day while I was breastfeeding him on demand (approximately 5-6 times during the day and another 3-4 times during the night) until almost 21 months. We suspected that he wasn't eating enough solids or drinking sufficient alternatives to my breastmilk, so we proceeded to wean him cold turkey by having me go away for the weekend. On the first night, he took about 20 oz of cow's milk. He's since tried more foods during this week than he has in the past 6 months. He still doesn't like meat very much, but is willing to take greater quantities of vegetables and starches. I would have loved to continue nursing him, but the main reason I stopped was because he wasn't trying to new foods or eat very much as long as I was nursing him on demand and frankly, I didn't have the willpower to reduce his feeds. Now, he's eating solids and drinking cow's milk much better!

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)

My son is 12 months and still on 3 milk feeds a day but for the last 2 months I've given them out of a sippy cup rather than use bottles and over this time he has cut back from 200ml to 150ml and even then he doesn't finish it all.

lesliefu is offline Registered User

my daughter is now 15 months, on 3 solid meals with 2 - 3 milk feeds a day. my doctor said to keep the milk intake at about 12oz per day (at a minimum). She has milk for breakfast (6oz + fruit / cereal / bread) milk for snack (if she didn't get it for lunch (4oz) and a last feeding at dinner time (3-4oz)...occassionally if she misses her lunch AND snack feeding (because we have no access to milk outside - I'm hesitant to bring fresh milk out with me for the day), then I will give her a bottle before bed....otherwise I weaned her off the night time feed about 13months...just by slowly decreasing the amount...didn't give water since she prefers milk...she uses a sippy cup only for water / juice not for milk since she gets tired and won't finish the milk (which I want her to in order to maintain the minimum).

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by leelsahy View Post
    nicolejoy - my girl also wakes up in the midnight for 'snack'. she's now 12-month and i'm feeding her monring and before bed (at around 9pm). i also want her to sleep through the night and cut that midnight feed but bf is really the easier way to settle her. we saw doctor yesterday for 12-mth vaccination and he suggested me to cut that by giving water instead. i doubt if it will work cos she just yells for mama until i begin to nurse

and by giving only one feeding, you can still maintain the milk supply?
    I've only been giving one feeding a day for at least a month or two now, and so far no problems with supply. I'm also pregnant again, which also can decrease milk supply but there's still enough for that one feed. Actually some days, she does sleep right through the night and then I don't bf at all - but I haven't done that two days in a row yet... I've tried substituting with water, juice or cows milk but nothing works like bfing!! So I'm just going to wait until she grows out of it. She's sleeping through more and more so I know that she's not going to bf forever.

I heard apparently that it takes something like 4 weeks, sometimes even longer, for your supply to dry up - and since it works on supply/demand, there's always going to be enough for about the same that the baby had the previous day or so... I know that it would be really hard, even almost impossible for me to start bfing 6 times a day again - I don't have as much milk as I did when I was bfing that frequently - but I have enough for what she's drinking right now - and I assume that I will until she stops needing it...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast