Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Don't agree with "teacher"'s method

carang is offline Registered User
    frenchy, like i said, i wasn't saying that your child was causing mayhem or that any of the children in the class were either... just that it does happen sometimes. i agree that the teacher may need to adjust her approach a little. it sounds to me like she doesn't make it interesting enough. i can usually grab the kids attention for at least a 5 minute story time.

when i do circle time, i NEVER expect children (under the age of 2) to be able to sit still for 20 minutes unless they are doing something.

when we do it, we do 3-4 songs (one of which is usually a dancing song & the rest we use various instruments), then we do a stint with "exercise balls", then we do the story. the story amounts to only about 5 minutes for the class of under 2s. the over 2s can usually handle 10 minutes of story-time.

like i said, it sounds to me like the teacher in questions doesn't have much experience with very young children.

carang is offline Registered User
    "just the right amount of pressure was applied to get her to settle down and participate. Or, if it looked like mission impossible, she was allowed to move outside the circle as long it didn't disturb the others. As for talking and general boisterous behavior, she incorporates it into the activity and NEVER made the kids feel bad or naughty. The only rule was if the kids had big tantrums/meltdowns, they had to be taken out of the room"

leah, i couldn't agree with you more!

Frenchy is offline Registered User
    That's exactly what I reproach her. I also think it's better for a kid to move outside the circle for 2 mn, and come back ready to concentrate again, without disturbing the others, but she just stops what she does and orders the kid to come back. As a result the kid is still bored and the others ones are not concentrated any more... how can you order a 18 months old baby to sit and stay still ?
    Well... anyway, I think I've got all the answers already, thanks for all your advices, it just comforted me in my thoughts and I'll probably talk to the management...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12