Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone can help? Baby Heartbeat at 6 weeks

bb_yeung is offline Registered User

Anyone can help? Baby Heartbeat at 6 weeks

I am 6 weeks pregnant & just went for the 1st doctor visit. No heartbeat detected. Am so worried....... Could you please share your experiences?

aussie mum is offline Registered User

Hi. I have no experience of this but if you google it you will find a lot of stories where people have been in the same situation and later found a heartbeat.
    All the best. It must be very worrying for you

carang is offline Registered User

how did they try to find a heartbeat at only 6 weeks?

you cannot hear the heartbeat using doppler until around 11-12 weeks.

an abdominal ultrasound may possibly pick up the amniotic sac, highly unlikely to see a heartbeat.

a vaginal ultrasound would be the best bet for seeing a heartbeat. if you didn't have one of these, i wouldn't worry yet.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

I know how you must feel, but try not to worry yet, as it may be weeks before you hear the heartbeat yet. It doesn`t mean that there isn`t one though.
    For sure a vaginal u/s is best for this early on. How does the sac look? is it measuring at 6 weeks? Could the doctor give you any more information about it?

dimsum mum is offline Registered User

hi
    what a stressful experience for you. no wonder you are worried.
    there is a very good reason that doctors don't look for heartbeats during ultrasounds until eight weeks or so...and that's why. HB is very difficult to determine at such a young stage.
    have you had a beta blood test? are your levels rising?
    if you are really really anxious, ask for a beta blood test. you get your blood drawn, and the hcg level is recorded. two days later, you go again. you want your beta level to have roughly doubled.
    how were the sac measurements?

so very sorry that you are going through this uncertainty, please do know that detecting a hb at six weeks is rare.

good luck, please keep us posted.

bb_yeung is offline Registered User

Thanks for all the valuable information. I did the abdominal ultrasound - but neither "see the heartbeat" nor the baby (so can't measure the size)

The doctor asks me to go back in a week's time. Hope things turn better...

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

When I was 7 weeks pregnant, I had an abdominal ultrasound and they saw nothing. I freaked out, and went to a hospital that did vaginal ones (I knew they should be able to see something from my experience with a previous pregnancy). My little guy was detected, and I stopped hyperventilating:)
    The vaginal ones are so much more reliable when you are early on. If you are really worried, there`s no reason why you can`t go to a private doctor tomorrow who uses a vaginal u\s and find out for sure. I would for sure, but that`s just me and I have no patience to sit and worry for a week longer than I have to.
    Good luck - I hope things go well.

yonge is offline Registered User

As the actual date of conception is an estimate, a few days can make a huge difference - i.e., 6 weeks and 0 days or 6 weeks and 6 days. Wait the wait and go back for a vaginal ultrasound. I had two miscarriages, one before each of my healthy sons were born. The fetus in the second miscarriage was characterized by delayed and slow fetal heartbeat. Heartbeat when detected at 8 weeks was slow and worse, irregular. I did not have the evacuation right away, hoping against hope that things would improve, but it didn't. I went for several more ultrasounds before I finally went for the evacuation at around 12 weeks, which gave me some time to say goodbye. I wouldn't recommend that for everyone, but I needed it. When I lost the first fetus, it was a complete shock as he looked perfectly healthy at 8 weeks and was still at the 12th week. Will be praying for your baby. Take care.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast