Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Would you induce before due date?

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    Interesting thread. I am also considering an induction to make sure that my husband is there for the delivery (travels for work) and to make sure that my helper is there to look after our toddler. I raised with my doctor and she said she would discuss when I got to 38 weeks. I was 2.5 weeks early with our son (waters broke but didn't progress fast enough so needed induction drugs to help along the process) so it is possible that I could be early again. Our son didn't need to go into ICU or anything despite being 2.5 early.

A hard decision but know how you are feeling - much harder second time around (and I am only 35 weeks along).

SB2

Sazzy is offline Registered User
    I would definitely not induce early unless for medical reasons. The baby is in the safest place

AmyH is offline Registered User
    I was induced on my second pregnancy at 41 weeks. My cervix was not "ripe" and it ended up being a failed induction and an emergency c-section. It was not a very pleasant experience as I had 30 hours of labour before the c-section. I would suggest that you think carefully before making the decision. Sometimes the short term gain is not worth the long term pain!

mumsy is offline Registered User
    Thanks ladies for all your replies.

I had a very smooth and quick birth when induced the first time round, so I think this did cloud my initial judgement about induction overall. Now after researching more and hearing some of your own experiences, we definitely don't want to add any unnecessary risks to the equation so we've decided to let things happen naturally. I'm sure I can hang in there a couple more weeks, and fingers crossed the little one won't keep us waiting much longer.

banane76 is offline Registered User
    I've heard and read over and over again that it's much more painful with inductions which are more likely to become c-sections. I guess it's a personal decision, but unless medically indicated, I would leave it up to the baby to decide when she/he wanted to be born :)

babymommy2 is offline Registered User
    Inductions are much more painful, back to back contractions (if getting oxytocin) and increase your risk having an epidural, as well as higher rates of cesarean. It really depends on your cervix how easily the induciton will go. If you are not close, they need to use a lot more to get it going and stay going.

I've had 2. 1 at 5 days early because it was thought the baby had IUGR (but he didnt', he was perfectly healthy) and I was no where even close to going on my own, so I had gel twice, oxytocin, morphine/gravol, laughing gas, an epidural, and an epsitomy, artificial rupture of membranes and narrowly escaped a vacuum extraction (because the OB said may as well do it and get it over with, but finally left the room and let my family doctor do her own thing, it was completely unecessary). If I hadn't been induced, he never would have been consulted to begin with. It was 36 hours start to finish, all in hosptial and I regret it. I wish I had insisted on having mroe biophysical profiles and NSt and only done it if there was a sign that the baby was in trouble. I never really did need to be induced to start with as the baby was fine.

The second time I was induced as 10 days over due, I only had cervadil, I could go home after and come back when in labor, so it was short 5 hours and went well, with no other interventions. But I regret it as well because I was starting to have show the day before so likely would have gone into labor in the next day or 2, so really why bother?

Unless there is a CLEAR medical reason I would avoid it and plan to do so with the baby I'm having now. The only thing in your situation that would change things for me, is the idea of having to go through labor all alone without your husband. I can't speak from that perspective. That is a tough spot to be in.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I have to add to my previous post, if my husband needed to go away close to the due date, I would totally be induced so that he could be there with me too. One of my friends had a husband in the military and they did that...

AmyH is offline Registered User
    My husband was not allowed with me at all during my labour. Due to the induction, contractions came on very strong, very quickly and I was taken to the delivery ward very early. He was allowed to wait outside but not allowed in (public hospital POW).

I laboured all through the night with strong contractions every 3 minutes and the next morning I still had not advanced at all (not even one centimetre!). There were issues finding her heart beat and as the chord was wrapped around her neck, the contractions were distressing her so they decided to perform an emergency c-section.

It was also my son's birthday on that day so my husband was in disneyland celebrating our son's 5th birthday when our daughter was born!

Not sure what we will do when he is celebrating his 21st and she is having her 16th birthday!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast