Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Would you induce before due date?

mumsy is offline Registered User

Would you induce before due date?

I'm nearly 38 weeks pregnant and this is my second pregnancy. At my last checkup, my doctor mentioned that I could now induce at anytime if I wanted to. I was a bit surprised to hear this, as I had always thought you wouldn't induce unless you were overdue.

I've been entertaining the idea and looking at the pros and cons of doing this, and basically the pros seem to be all for my benefit and convenience rather than the baby.

Deep down, I really hope this baby arrives early since this pregnancy is starting to take its toll on my body. I've been getting bad ligament pains in my lower abdomen and pelvic regions, and my bones are always cracking whenever I get in/out of bed. My right hand has been numb for over 2 months now with carpal tunnel syndrome. I'm also becoming increasingly fatigued but cannot nap as I have a 4 yr old to look after and no helper or other family at home.

If I wait until my EDD, I will probably end up giving birth by myself since my hubby would be looking after our first child. But if I induce just after 39 weeks, my sister in law will still be in HK to babysit for us (she's leaving to be matron of honour at a friend's wedding which was arranged over a year ago so she cannot cancel that).

I'm really don't mind being induced - my firstborn was induced although he was 10 days overdue.

Healthwise, the baby would be considered full-term and no different from someone planning an elective C-section which is usually carried out by 38 weeks.

Concerns that I've read on the internet include the baby's lungs not being mature enough and needing to spend time in ICU. Also induction before the due date may fail and result in an emergency C-section.

I'm definitely going to wait another full week before deciding, but would be grateful if anyone has been induced before their due date and can share their experience.

Thanks so much.

yonge is offline Registered User
    I induced one week before the due date for my second, because I have IUGR (intra-uterine growth retardation), so my babies tend to be very small. My doctor thought his growth trajectory has slowed to the point that waiting any longer might put him in danger of having to burn his (tiny) fat reserves. With my first, another doctor didn't even want to wait and took him out by c-section, so I definitely prefer getting induced than having a c-section!

At 39 weeks, the lungs should be fully mature (usually by 37 weeks) and the baby won't need to spend any time in the ICU. Of course, the bigger the baby, the more likely he'll be a strong nurser and therefore, a better sleeper. :) However, your own health is very important. Being very fatigue is also stressful for the baby as it may interfere with absorption. Maybe sending your older child to a holiday program, so that you can have some "alone" time pre- or post-newborn would give you some rest. In some Southeast Asian cultures, a woman takes a massage when she can't afford the break for a nap, so you may want to give that a try. Good luck!

Sleuth is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    and basically the pros seem to be all for my benefit and convenience rather than the baby.
    Doesn't really seem like the correct reasoning.

Portia is offline Registered User
    I have consulted a midwife about the same question. One of the things that the midwife mentioned is the state of your cervix. If you try to induce before it is ready, then labour is more likely to fail to progress.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Unless you had a real medical problem, I would leave it in the hands of God/luck/fate.
    Especially if your induction could cause a c-section - that would not be a nice experience for you. Don`t worry, you`re nearly there. This is your time to take it easy as best you can, and spend the last bit of alone time with your 4 year old.
    Good luck with whatever you decide and also congratulations in advance~

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    As long as there are no medical reasons to interfere, I wouldn't. I know many doctors in HK think differently but there is a reason a child comes when it comes.

You could consider 40 weeks since that would be your due date, but agree with pp, it really depends on the state of your cervix. If favorable, it's most likely to be successful, especially if you already had a child.

I was induced with the twins at 38w2d because many doctors believe the risks outweigh the benefits in going over 38w with twins. I was already 4 1/2 cm without ever going into labor so it was a very smooth ride. They had a combined weight of 15 1/2lbs / 7kg so I know my share of being uncomfortable ...

Good luck!

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I wouldn't, but that's just me :) I know that the last month of pregnancy isn't much fun - but I think that labour would be better if it started by itself rather than being induced. I think if I REALLY couldn't take it, I'd at least try to make it til the due date - and even if you're induced a week later, it has a better chance of being easier/smoother etc...

A lot of my friends in the US are all induced at 38 weeks. Some of them have had to have their babies in the ICU for a few days. Mostly problems with their lungs. I think it's better to wait the extra two weeks and make sure that the baby is as ready for the outside world as possible! Unless there's other medical issues of course...

newbiekt is offline Registered User
    Hi - I was induced at 39 weeks and have shared my experience below. As Sofie and others have said I think the key criteria for making the decision depends on your cervix. I was already ready to go i.e. soft and 3cm dliated and the baby was big and well developed. The placenta was starting to deterioriate so it was clear that I wasn't going to be allowed to go overdue.My doctor said he wouldn't consider an induction without the cervix being ready as it would be likely to fail. I would read up on the Bishops Score and ask how you rate on this scale to give you an idea of whether you're ready. If they suggest using pessaries to "ripen" your cervix to me this would be an indication that things aren't ready to go.

I had a good labour, they put the epidural in, broke my waters and started a very low dose syntocin drip and it all went smoothly. I do think that you have to be prepared for it to end up in a C-section as they will hold you to very conservative timescales here once they break your waters. They broke my waters at around 10am and told me if things hadn't progressed by early evening we'd most likely have to have a section. Luckily things turned out well and by 6pm I was pushing!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast