Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Air ticket for helper

woodstock07 is offline Registered User

Air ticket for helper

Hi all,

I'm terminating my helper and I know that I have to pay for her return ticket to the Philippines. Can I pay her cash in lieu? If so, how much is sufficient?

Thanks!

Honkyblues is offline Registered User
    Yes, you can give cash in lieu. Make sure she signs a paper to say that is her air fare though. And give her a print out of ticket prices to show you are giving her a fair amount of money. (Cebu Pacific are a lot cheaper than Philippine Airlines)
    BTW, we were told by the Labour Dept that if you give an air ticket for a particular day and the helper (accidently or otherwise) misses the flight, you are still liable for a ticket for her to leave HK. Until she leaves, she is your responsibility. If you give her cash and she spends it on something other than a ticket, I don't know if you still have the financial liability - but I would assume you do.

HTH

Honkyblues is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by woodstock07 View Post
    Hi all,

I'm terminating my helper and I know that I have to pay for her return ticket to the Philippines. Can I pay her cash in lieu? If so, how much is sufficient?

Thanks!
    Forgot to say, re the amount, check out Cebu Pacific website. Choose a flight home at a reasonable time on a reasonable date and give her that amount (and then print out the page from the website to show her how you arrived at that sum). Remember that you are liable to get her back to her hometown, not just Manila. So you may have to buy a connecting domestic flight or give her money for a bus/ferry. Also give money to get to the airport. Plus I think it's $100 per diem allowance (for food etc).

woodstock07 is offline Registered User
    Honkyblues, thanks!