Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Cathay Pacific - Bulk seat or Bassinet seat

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    From my experience, all bassinet sizes are different depending on the aircraft and airline. Also check for maximum weight. In KLM they go up to 26", United only 24" (which my daughter already was at 2-3 months since she was born 22" tall). Her feet were sticking out and there was no way she could fit in that one at 7 months when we flew home for Xmas that year. So double check, and ask for sizes. They're not all the same.

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckeroo View Post
    I say that because some passengers are not very considerate and might pass in front of the middle front row just to get across to the washrooms or whatever, and in the process sometimes your toes and things get stepped on. With the bulkhead seats on the sides, you can be sure that no one will cross in front of you, step all over your feet or things.
    Absolutely!! What a pain in the *ss. I was extremely irritated to have a constant flow of people passing us to go to the washroom in either side. This is in spite of the bassinet being set up (baby sleeping inside) and we have put bags on the floor and extend our legs. People just step in between our legs/begs and between us and the bassinet to get to the other side. I was on the verge of throwing a tantrum :)

Bess is offline Registered User
    Totally agree Obiwan & Buckeroo with people being inconsiderate, hubby in fact did tell people to go around!
    Another thing with the bulkhead seats is that the arm rests on the airbus 330/340 (seating config 2-4-2) on the outer seats of the middle 4 seats are fixed. It is only the 1in middle that you can lift up due to the trays being stored in the seat. I find this harder to have a bub / toddler sleeping on my lap as you can't spread out that little bit more if you have been allocated 2 seats etc.

southside852 is offline Registered User
    i think it depends on how your baby sleeps. we;ve been on both in cathay and if i were to do it again, i would take the regular seats - non bulkhead. our son hated the bassinet - he hated being confined and he was also a tummy sleeper very early on. almost i would have preferred a drop down table in front of me, moveable armrests and the tv. our son always preferrered sleeping on us in his carrier right up to 12 months.

also, like the above people mentioned, we hated the light from the bathroom constantly shining down right on our son.

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    Depends on the baby, I agree. Ours slept really well in the bassinet but when I travelled with him by myself (he was 6 months), we bought him a seat and both sat on the side (in a 2 config.) which was more private for feeding and sleeping. He slept across the seat.

If you do go for the bassinet then take a dark blanket or something to cover the bassinet to block out some of the light when they turn on the lights without warning.

I also tell people off if they try and cross in front of me on the bulkhead - VERY irritating and inconsiderate!

SB2

piper is offline Registered User
    Thanks for all your insight....I guess I have to call Cathay Pacific and find out where the bulk seats are..with your GREAT suggestions...I have to check out the "lights from the bathroom" seats...

THANKS for all your replies!!!!

bumbeeno is offline Registered User
    Great thread! I have been thinking about this lately. We will fly with our baby for the first time at Chinese New Year and he will be 7 months old by then. It's a short haul Cathay flight of approx 4 hours. Would it be worth asking for the centre bulkhead seats with the bassinet option (tho he may be too long for it by then as he is already 65cm now) or would it be a better idea to ask for the side bulkhead seats where there is at least some privacy? I don't foresee him sleeping much as he only is ever able to sleep in his cot or in a carrier. By then he mightn't even want to sleep at all, it's too exciting!!!

Any other tips on travelling with an infant for the first time would be immensely appreciated!

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    Depending on the air-craft, the 777 we flew on did not have the side bassinet option (only centre row). My girl, who was 3-month old then, fit the bassinet just right, but I suspect she won't be able to fit in a couple of months. That was her first flight, very uneventful, she didn't cry at all :)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast