Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bringing sleeping time earlier

LLL_Sarah is offline Registered User

In my experience habits are not that hard to change depending on two things.

The first is, "Is it a habit or a need?" If your baby still has a need, say waking for milk in the night, then changing this will be difficult.

The second is' "How determine are you?" If you have a reason behind your wanting to change the habit and not just a "it would be nice" then you put in the effort needed to change the situation.

Remember that as children approach school age they are able to listen and understand your reasoning. And often very happy to at least try to do what you want. Changing habits in older children is usually much easier than in babies. Babies can't explain to you when it is a need and when it is a want.

Best wishes,
    SARAH

La Leche League Leader
    www.lllhk.org

lesliefu is offline Registered User

my baby used to sleep from 8pm to 6am, now at 15mths she won't sleep till 9:30...still she sleeps a good 10 hours...I thought I had "trained" her well...but I"m starting to think they have a mind of their own...I would love for her to sleep earlier, but that would mean cutting out her nap (which is only 1 hour long in the afternoon) and not spending a lot of time with her dad. also, if she's wide eyed and bushy tailed, how DO you get them to sleep? I'm crossing my fingers that as she gets older, I can reason more with her about school and such and that sleep training will come easier. I do believe that if they are tired they will sleep, and if they are not tired there is no point in putting them in since they will just cry their head off...I've tried to let her cry for over 40mins, in the end she fell asleep due to exhaustion, but is it really worth getting her all upset over sleep?!? I find my daughter is just getting smarter with age...there's too much going on! Damn!

mcdill is offline Registered User

My 3 mth old goes to sleep around 8.30-9pm. It would be good to have more time with her on weekdays as it is already about 7pm when I come home from work. So I just go to bed early so I can get up the same time as her in the morning.

Obiwan is offline Registered User

hi Mcdill, do you increase her feed during the day to make up? am i right that your baby girl has about 4 feeds a day?

AmyH is offline Registered User

my daughter is 4 months old now and she is in bed asleep by 8pm every night. She has been doing this since she was 8 weeks old. I was very lucky with her as it was not something I did on purpose, she just put herself into that routine. She has 5 bottles per day and sleeps until 7am every day.

mcdill is offline Registered User

Obiwan, because my baby has some reflux, she has lesser amounts and more frequent feeds than a "normal" 3 month old. So we usually wake her up at 11-11.30pm for a feed to last her through the night, as she doesn't go to sleep on a totally full stomach. She will then go back to sleep quite quickly because she is quite drowsy then.

I also asked my friends whether they increased their babies' feeds during the day once they started sleeping through the night. Some did so, while others found it was not necessary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12