Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Lingnam Primary School

WENDYCHANMEIYAO is offline Registered User

Lingnam Primary School

Would like to invite for some sharing on Lingnam Primary School. My son got an offer on K1 and we would like to understand more on the primary school curriculum and teaching approach. We may need to move from Kowloon to Wanchai if we take this offer. Thanks.

yonge is offline Registered User
    My friend's daughter is there in K1 and started in the nursery there. She truly enjoys it as the teachers are genuinely caring and supportive of her overall development. The classes are low pressure and the children have fun. It's also nice that having a place in K1 will mean that your son doesn't have to worry about interviewing for a place in their primary school. The only concern one might have is that their teaching in English is considered not very strong, but as my friend's home is an English-speaking environment, this was as much of a concern for her. If you're moving to be close to the school, you may want to check out Shiu Fai Terrace, which is a residential street next to Tung Shan Terrace.

WENDYCHANMEIYAO is offline Registered User
    Thanks for sharing. Typically, what will be the options of primary education for students in Lingnam Kindergarten? Do most of them continue primary education in Lingnam Primary School?

As is typical in HK, almost all the children in K3 will apply to other "brand-name" schools and if they do, they'll leave, but if they don't, they'll stay. I heard of one parent who actually sends her daughter to a different school, "trading up" each time. I'm not crazy about the idea, as it only creates an unstable environment for the child.

fingerscrossed is offline Registered User
    The level of English at Lingnan Primary is pretty low. I'm tutoring two children who go to that school and I'd say their levels are a year or so behind some of the 'elite' schools. Of course, if this isn't an issue for you, the school is actually a very caring one and the classes are VERY small. 12 in each class and the whole school only has about 100 students, so I heard.

W2BMOM is offline Registered User
    What are the "brand name" or "elite" schools especially the ones that are good both in Mandarin and English?

@W2BMOM, Singapore International School, but they teach in simplified instead of traditional written Chinese. Their curriculum is IB.