Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

physio for 15mt old...yes or no?

lesliefu is offline Registered User

physio for 15mt old...yes or no?

my daughter is 15mts and just starting to crawl well, when she stands she is just starting to want to lift herself to standing, do you think I should take her to physiotherapy? What are other peoples experiences? Initially, she was standing with her right foot tilted out to the side a bit, but now she isn't - the doctor suggested physio but said it's not urgent and to wait till after the CNY...which I'm inclined to do...seems like everything is a bit slower but coming along...also, her speech is a bit slow too...I read the baby websites and she should be saying 4 words now...she can only say Baba and then a whole load of gibberish...is speech therapy needed for a 15mth old? Is there such thing? Are there other parents in the same boat as I?!? What are your experiences?!? Any insight would be highly appreciated!

carang is offline Registered User
    some kids just develop later than others.

my son only had 20-25 words by the age of 2. my daughter was speaking full sentences by about 20 months or so.

my son didn't crawl until 9 months, then was walking by 10.
    my daughter crawled at 5 months(she was one month premature, so really only 4 months) but started walking at 10 months.

i've had kids at my playgroup that are 18 months and just starting to walk.

i think you are really too worried and need to relax a little bit. i honestly think that your child is on par with many children her age. besides, i don't think there is much a speech therapist can do for someone so little.
    Last edited by carang; 12-16-2009 at 12:44 AM.

thanks cara...i wasn't too sure a speech therapist could do anything...as for walking...i will try to be patient and encouraging so she actually feels confident in doing it when the time is right...

sunrays is offline Registered User
    My daughter crawled and walked late. she did have some problems with her hips at birth and I found the physio to be of little help.However, an osteopath has been of great help. Try Cheung Sze at Imi or Bobby Can at naturpath. by the way, my daughter also spoke late and now doesn't stop chattering away.....so like Cara said, try not to worry too much

yonge is offline Registered User
    My elder son could only say "Mama" until age 2, at which point, he suddenly opened up and was speaking as well as reading over a hundred words in the first month. He didn't walk until he was 12 months and my younger one didn't walk until he was 13 months, but once he did, he was able to jump at 16 months. There are some things to look out for though - is your daughter's delay in walking caused by her reflex to point her feet (as if wearing high heels) and is unable to flex them so that they're flat on the ground? Once of my nieces who suffered a stroke at birth has both physical and mental developmental delay and the physiotherapist that she sees asked her mother to do exercises with her - mainly gently but forcibly flexing her feet so that they're at a right angle with her leg and flat on the ground. If your daughter is unable to flex her feet at 15 months, then please do see a physical therapist as well as someone perhaps at the Child Assessment Center for a thorough check-up. Otherwise, I'm sure you have nothing to worry about!

thanks sunrays for your recommendations...I will check them out definitely and yonge...i think you might be on to something...my daughters toes are always tucked under and only until recently has she decided that she wants to flex them out (because we always make her stand and "open" them up for her)...I think I will go for an assessment after the Christmas break just to check and perhaps learn some exercise I can do with her at home.

thanks so much! :) really appreciate it! I will keep observing her to see how she progesses...

beckveldman is offline Registered User
    Hi OP,

While speech therapy is something that wouldn't usually be indicated until the age of 2 (and child developing in the mid-range of the spectrum should have a good many words by then), physiotherapy for non-walking by 18 months is definitely worth pursuing.

No doubt this is why your doctor has suggested waiting until CNY (the magic 18 month age), but truthfully, it is worth having a good paediatric developmental physiotherapist check your child. The kicker is, it's hard to find them! I would try the child developmental centre at Matilda first off.

I have a lot of background in this area as my eldest was extremely prem and with motor issues.

Just one thing I noted, you mentioned that you make your daughter stand? Every developmental physio I've ever seen would counsel against that strongly. Likewise, in the case of your daughter who is not yet standing and seems to curl, it is very important not to use "jolly jumpers" or "walkers" or "activity centres" that encourage your baby to bounce on her toes. Simply put, these actions reinforce muscular patterns that your daughter needs to learn not to do, in order to walk.

There are strengthening exercises that are "pre-walker" exercises that would be good for your daughter, which a qualified physio can prescribe after thorough assessment.

Hope that helps!

Thanks beckvelman for your help! Really appreciate it! Since I last wrote, my daughter has become really "fast" a crawling and is trying to crawl up stairs too...I think I will go with your recommendation about checking about the child developmental centre at Matilda though...now after the Christmas break things are more or less "back to normal"...luckily for us we don't use the walkers / jumpers, etc. Thanks again!