Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dirty toilet bowl water

noraa is offline Registered User

Dirty toilet bowl water

Sorry if this topic has been covered elsewhere or is common knowledge to everyone out there....We are new to Hong Kong and while we love most things about it, are concerned by the color and cloudiness of the water that fills our toilet bowls (obviously when the bowls are clean). The water that comes out of the taps is clear, but we have a good filtration system installed. Does the toilet water come from a different source than the tap/shower water (it must)? And if so, what source (it is gross!)? I need to clean the bowls every other day to prevent scum from accumulating, much more frequently than I am accustomed to. Is this problem specific to my building or more widespread? Is there anything I can do to battle the constant scum buildup (apart from the every-other-day scrubs)? Is this water even sanitary? Should I insist everyone closes the toilet lid after usage? Thanks!

FutureHKmom is offline Registered User
    Hmmmm - I've never had that problem in any of the apartments I have lived (I've lived in 3 since moving back to HK in 2004). Could it be a problem with the water tanks in your building? Have you talked to the management of you building about this problem?

Yes - didn't get a real answer, just a shrug of the shoulders. I think others in the building have complained though as suddenly last week the management decided to centrally put a blue cleaning agent in the toilet water (I think it is a cleaning agent, hopefully it isn't just a dye to try to mask the dirtiness of the water - that said though, although the water is now a dirty blue, the scum accumulation is no-less than in the couple weeks we were here before the addition of the blue stuff to the toilet water supply). I asked our local realtor who said it is just part of being in HK....

rani is offline Administrator
    Toilet bowl water used to be sea water. Not sure if it still is.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I think that the toilet water here is salt water, not regular tap water - but yes, it is quite gross! I think some places are worse than others though... it gets tiring needing to scrub the toilet all the time though!! But the scum does build up really easily...

I do, however, think it's better to use "dirty water" in the toilet rather than flushing perfectly good drinking water, like they do in many other countries!!

Generally speaking, for sanitary reasons, no matter what kind of water is in the toilet, you should close the lid before flushing and keep it closed unless using it!!

karmah1 is offline Registered User
    Sydney, Australia (but would like to return to HK)
    Oh we had the same problem, it was like muddy orange water and used to leave a terrible stain around the toilet bowl and an orange dirt sediment in the cistern. The building managers used to regularly flush out the water tanks in our building but nothing changed. Surprisingly we were in a brand new building too!!

Thanks for all of the insight - and really great points too! On reflection, it is much better ecologically to not be flushing potable water; knowing this makes the added daily chores less of a burden! And yes, very good point, we should probably always keep the lids closed including during the flush.

Kat76 is offline Registered User
    OMG!! I thought I was the only crazy woman scrubbing my toilets every day when I lived in Mid levels. We don't seem to have this problem now that we've moved to DB.
    I don't use bleach, I prefer using vinegar. If you dunk a load in the bowl over night it comes up sparkling in the morning after a little scrub!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast