Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Processing Time for New Domestic Helper

sherwes is offline Registered User

Processing Time for New Domestic Helper

Hi, can someone please enlighten me as to the processing times for a new helper and also explain under what circumstances they have to return to their home country for processing? I need to go back to work at the beginning of March so need another helper from beginning of Feb.

My current helper had to return to the Phils for processing and it took 3 months to get her back meaning that I had to hire a western nanny in the meantime! This time around, I want to avoid interviewing anyone who can't start work by beginning of Feb.

Many thanks

yonge is offline Registered User
    Hong Kong
    I transferred my existing helper in Singapore to join me in Hong Kong and although I used an agent, it took me over two months! I finally went to Immigration Department to find out what was holding things up and they said my agent didn't give them a piece of information that I was sure I had passed to the agent, but fortunately, that I had on me, so they were able to approve my application then and there! The whole process depends on when all the paperwork is in place, so if you've found someone you like, start it now. There can be hang-ups at different levels - e.g., the domestic helper's embassy. Also, you can get a visa for her before sending her on home leave, but it's a different application form. That way, you may be able to have her on board for a few months, settle in, before having to send her back. Good luck!

Neha is offline Banned
    Mid Levels, Hong Kong
    we applied early this year and it took us exactly 6 weeks for the visa to come thru. My husband called the immigration officer at 5 weeks as we were leaving for a holiday and he said we could pick it up from the immigration instead of waiting for the letter.

rani is offline Administrator
    Pokfulam, Hong Kong
    Sherwes, finished contract helpers can get their papers processed fairly quickly and do not need to exit HK. Terminated and new helpers to HK will take 6 weeks. Terminated helpers will need to return to the Philippines (unless they've been terminated for financial reasons or their employer has left HK) Once you receive the acknowledgment card from immigration, send them a fax requesting them to expedite the processing.