Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Settling in...

@dorable is offline Registered User

Smile Settling in...

Hey all..

Having a bit of a tough time settling in to Hong Kong, wondered if anyone had any similar stories to share..

I actually lived in Hk from 2003-2006 but at the time it was just me and the hubby, no worries. I didn't work, lady of leisure and much younger. I loved it by the time we left to go back to London (hubby was homesick but I was loving it).

Now things are different, I have a 23 month old lil boy so have come back as a family but I just don't feel at home this time. I miss my family, miss the fact that the lil man is away from his grandparents, miss my house and garden!

Yes, I know it will take time and I am prepared to take each day as it comes. I just wanted to know that I am not the only one who has felt this way I guess.

Thanks for reading :)
    xxx

AmyH is offline Registered User
    I moved over here a year ago last month and was really excited about it. We had a four year old boy and he loved the adventure.

Three weeks after moving here I found out I was pregnant, had no idea about the medical system here and really missed my family.

I spent the first five months staying in the apartment as I had severe morning sickness so did not fancy going out anywhere as the smells of the local restaurants made me feel sick all the time. Then I was too big to go anywhere!

I gave birth to my daughter 16 weeks ago and just before she was born we moved to the gold coast.
    I am starting to settle in here but still have not made that many friends yet so still miss my family, especially as I have a daughter now that nobody has met yet.

I was planning on going to the geobaby christmas dinner and the baking exchange but got a stomach bug so had to cancel that!

I, too, am taking it one day at a time and I have to tell myself often that even if we did go back to the UK tomorrow we would both be unemployed during a recession and here we have more than enough money to be comfortable here and pay off my mortgage back in the UK.

You are definitley not alone!

Thanks for taking the time to reply!

Its funny.. the months leading up to the move is sooo exciting, u do the last meals with friends, family... ur filled with adreniline.. and even when u get here its the same.. exciting finding somewhere to live, a new adventure..

but the little things make u miss what u had...
    then again..
    the grass is always greener...

I know once I am settled, holidays to the UK will make me miss Hong Kong! Jus wish I had that settled feeling!

I miss the Asda and Tescos most!

Lol.. yea definately tesco shopping.. all the buy 1 get one free.. felt like u could spend a little and get loads..

I miss driving... not bothering to here - drivers are too mad lol..

I didn't drive in the Uk (I did in ireland cos you can drive there on a provisional licence!) but I also miss the reasonably priced childrens clothes and baby products ... the fact that mothercare is considered cheap here is funny to me!

I haven't even got to the buying clothes stage.. bought loads before we left..in the next year and year after sizes lol.. Haven't checked mothercare...yet..
    I now miss primark.. for myself! and good play clothes for the little man...
    I'm sure I'll learn to love Hong Kong..again :D lol x

I am heading back to ireland and the UK next week, just after Christmas and plan to raid Primark when I am there!

It will get better, it has for me since we moved to the gold coast and I am planning a real health kick when I come back so when we go to the Uk in July of next year I will be about half of my current size!!!!

If you ever fancy meeting up for coffee or alcohol just let me know!!! (will arrange a baby sitter as I also have no helper!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast