Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Car seat recommendations pls~

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User

Car seat recommendations pls~

I`m thinking I should buy a car seat for my nearly 1 year old for when we travel and also in long taxi journeys (to airport).
    I`m looking for a seat that doesn`t have a base, is user friendly(fast to install in the cab), lightweight, can last a while for my son (one from 9 kgs), and is reasonably priced. How`s my criteria - does your car seat match up?
    I need to buy it rather quickly, and I have access to ToysRUs, Eugene, 0/3 Baby, and Mon Bebe.
    Thanks a lot - I couldn`t find quick back posts about this here.
    Last edited by Shenzhennifer; 12-18-2009 at 08:43 PM.

carey is offline Registered User
    We have a Maxo-cosi Priori XP that seem to fit in your requirement.

We brought it at Mothercare Ocean Terminal for around HK2000 (we have a membership card that gives us a 10% discount). We compare it with other brand, it is a mid-level pricing.

Most importantly, my son likes it. He refused to sit in the Orbit infant car seat and when we upgrade him to a toddler car seat because he had grown out of the infant one, we were not sure if he would comprise.

It does not have a base. It's for 9kg -18 kg. It 's easier to install.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Thanks, Carey. I`m just wondering if you travel with it. For example, we`re going to Japan soon and to get to my husband`s family`s home we have to take trains for 2 hrs from the airport. We`re just worried that since we would buy a infant/toddler seat that it would be really hard to lug around - they look really big and heavy. I know I couldn`t barely lift my son in an infant bucket seat when he was only 5 months old.

carey is offline Registered User
    I was just looking at the user menu. It looks like this model I have does come with a base. My initial understanding of a "base" one that you could leave it in the car and you could take the car seat with you out of the car and click it onto the base when in the car.

But I remember the sale lady said there is one model that Maxi-Cosi that has no base.

You are right. Most car seat are heavy. I guess that's what's make it safe. We compare several brands, this one is in the middle range in terms of weight and price.

It's heavy for me to lift it around. I do it with both of my hands and walk it to the car with difficulty. We leave it in the car most of the time. Not sometime that I would drag around the airport unless I have to.

But if safety during traveling is your concern and your are traveling with your husband, then what I can imagine you and your husband ( or my husband and I doing when we go for our first trip h our one year old next summer) doing would be like this: You are carrying your son in a baby carrier or pushing him in an umbrella stroller, your husband is dragging this car seat in the airport through the security and in the area where trolley is not allowed.

From what I read in this forum, you probably can use this car seat on the plane for your bud, if the airline seat design accommodate it. Otherwise, you could check it in at the boarding gate and collect it at arrival.

I have not travel with my baby yet. We might fly without a car seat. we might get friends or family to drive us to the airport so that we don't need to take the car seat with us. When arriving, we would have families there to pick us up with a car seat.

I am being long-winded here. But the above only work if we are going from one home base to the other. When going on vacations, this probably can't be arranged.

I am sure there are plenty of frequent-traveled-mothers on this forum can share with us what their best solutions is.

carang is offline Registered User
    jen,
    i have a car seat that we no longer use. it hasn't been in an accident and it's good for 6m-2/3 yrs. it doesn't have a base, but i don't know how easy it would be to get it in and out of a taxi. the seat belt has to go through the back of the car seat. it's a 5 pt harness as well.

if you'd like it, i would only ask $300 for it (to cover the cost of my bringing it to you. it's in pretty good condition.

let me know if you're interested in it.

Hi Cara and Carey,
    Thanks to both of you for your help and to Cara for your offer to sell me yours cheaply. After looking around at carseats yesterday, we decided not to buy one.
    The manageable ones he would outgrow in a couple of months, and the ones from 1year up are just so big and cumbersome and it would be ridiculous for us to try to use one in a cab or to travel with it.
    If we had a car, it would be a different story, but we don`t, so I can`t really justify it. We`ll just have to rent them when we need to, and avoid long taxi rides.
    Thanks again. One less piece of baby equipment to worry about:)

Nashua852 is offline Registered User
    Jen, can I have your email? I got an ebrochure from bumps to babes the other day which featured the 'gogo kidz travelmate' which is essentially a pulley-base for a carseat when you go flying. The design sold here is smaller than the one I found online Infant Cruizer Travel-All maybe this could be an option?

If not, as I know you guys travel alot you might look into ordering a sitnstroll online or watch the classifieds for people selling theirs on as I've seen a few times over the past couple of years...

Happy flying whatever you choose - its been faaar to long since I've been on a plane!
    Proud Mama to Kian Danyaal 08.12.2007 & Adara Michelle 10.10.2009

Nashua852 is offline Registered User
    Actually, here's the link to the one sold in HK gogo kids travelmate - Google Product Search some form of cheekyness involving one brand using an 's' and one a 'z' distinguishes one company from the other. 'Gogo Kids' design is a lot better for travel I think, and luckily that's the one sold here :)
    Proud Mama to Kian Danyaal 08.12.2007 & Adara Michelle 10.10.2009