Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Smoke detectors

noraa is offline Registered User

Smoke detectors

Hi - another HK newbie question. My apartment does not have smoke detectors. Is this standard here? Does anybody know where I can buy smoke detectors and a gas detector for the kitchen? Also, if most apartments don't have smoke detectors, I guess any smoke detector I buy will not be connected to the building management desk, or to the fired department/police. Is there any way of linking smoke detectors to third parties to alert them that there might be a problem (if we are out of the house etc.)? Do home security firms provide this type of service? Also, are landlords agreeable to allowing tenants to install smoke detectors?

Thank you all again!

Anybody???

carang is offline Registered User
    they are not very common in hk. as a matter of fact, in 15 years here and after living in 10 flats (not to mention all of the other places i've lived while here) i've never seen a flat with smoke detectors.

i'm guessing that part of the reason is that the construction of buildings is almost 100% cement. there's not much except for interior furnishings that are likely to start on fire.

even if you find one, i'm not sure that they connect to police etc. rather it would be more to let people inside the flat know that there is a problem.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I think that our place has a smoke detector - but I don't think that it works. We own so it's all our responsibility but we haven't done anything with it. But it was here when we moved in...

Most buildings have building-wide smoke alarms etc so if something major was to happen, everyone would be alerted. A lot of places to regular fire drills and fire safety information stuff as well - I know our building does...

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    I think you can buy them here but haven't seen them. We got them from our home country. They are the standard ones which siren if there is smoke. Not connected to a third party. Never seen a landlord install them for us in the time we have lived here.

SB2

Thanks - I'll look around for smoke detectors. Even if not connected to an emergency service, at the minimum it would be good to have one in the baby room just in case (electrical fire etc.)

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    If you don't speak Chinese then maybe someone on here who does can give post the word(s) to use as I suspect one of those "hole in the wall" hardware stores might be the best bet to try.

kellyst is offline Registered User
    happen to be looking as well and stumble upon this thread, noraa, did u find one? Thx.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast