Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Internation Schools in Hong Kong with Strong Mandarin

Mamamia 1 is offline Registered User

Hi FutureHKmom

I don't know anything about HKIS. I visited their website and after looking at the school fees $16,000/mth, I've decided that is too expensive for us. Also, I don't think their Mandarin is that strong judging from their website. But I haven't really looked into it in detail.

Mamamia 1 is offline Registered User

Hi Barbwong_130

Again, I haven't done any research on Yew Chung because that's in Kowloon Tong. (We don't want to move there). I just hear from other parents that this is a school for rich HK kids and the academic/ English standard is not that great for the price you pay. Again, that's just what I've heard from other parents. It may not be true. Any parents who want to find out about a school should visit their website and go on a school visit. I was put off by what parents said about the snobbery in CIS and didn't even do research on it until it was too late. I am living to regret that now. So don't just go by what one or two parents say.

ssheng is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mamamia 1 View Post
    Hello all

At the moment, only ISF and IMS are on our list. Both are just as expensive and has distinct disadvantages.
    Thank you so much for this thread - it is really helpful! Given the strict Mandarin rules for ISF and the brand new campus, what are the distinct disadvantages from CIS? I saw they do not offer upper grades right now since they are too new, so perhaps that is the major disadvantage.

I tried to call CIS but they said to call back when my child was 2, as you cannot get on the waiting list until then. So actually, I guess you can apply too early, as well!

Obiwan is offline Registered User

Thanks Mamamia1. Does that mean a child should go to another nursery/K1 and apply for Reception later? What is the right age to apply for Reception? Apologies for my very basic questions, like you say, the HK international school system is pretty mind boggling to navigate for someone new to this :(

I am trying to find out how/when best to apply so that my child can have a better chance of getting into CIS. Thanks!

lesliefu is offline Registered User

the HKIS program is catered to both expat families and Chinese families...they have 2 streams. basically once you're in one stream there is very little chance to switch to the other stream (unless you go from Chinese stream to expat stream)...there Chinese has been around for over 10years, but they do stress they are not a bilingual school where there focus is on English, so, the amount of time allocated to Chinese is a reflection of this. of course the amount increases as you move up, but whether or not the increment is enough, it really depends on your perception

as for having a better chance to get into CIS, I hear that your child needs to be able to interview in both Mandarin and English and that the average waitlist is about 2 years.....like all schools, there are advantages and disadvantages...one being (for CIS) the English is not so good (my friends say)...but, that again is a matter of perspective...I'm not 100% sure myself....I know corporate debentures, even if you are willing to pay, are not sold to "anyone" your company has to be "big" and "well known" in order to get one...go figure! :)

Gabriel ma is offline Registered User

How about RC?

wuxu is offline Registered User

Mamamia1 Thank you so much for sharing with us. Good Luck with everything!

scoopydoo is offline Registered User

mamamia 1,
    again, you have been a great help in contributing these info. good on you.
    btw, do u know how to get in touch with the CIS corporate debenture buy/sell market? presumably these are bonds with maturity and yield interest income?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast