Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes

Internation Schools in Hong Kong with Strong Mandarin

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    This wait list thingy --- everyone talks about the long wait-list, but you can only apply within the application period, so how do people end up being on a wait list couple of years long.

Like an earlier poster said, don't think we can apply early right?

Another question is ... what nursery/Kindergarten do you send your child to pre international school since many of them start in K2 or K3...

flo
    flo is offline Registered User
    mamamia, I feel the same way as you do. My hubby's niece and nephews all graduated from CIS. We also know a few people who go there. All that snobbery is true. So a child who goes to CIS will fall in one of 3 groups: A. the super rich kids B. the academically strong ones C. land of no where.

I have heard of a case where a parent decided to pull out her child because they couldn't stand the snobbery. She felt that her child was given the wrong values in life.

ISF - I have "heard" that there is a frequent change in principals - apparently the result of the board which is made up of "knowledgeable" parents of different views. Also, as a school of short history, it could be of concern.

Victoria - My cousin enrolled her daughter in the primary school and decided to pull her out 2 years ago. She said the school was not yet settled, administration was chaotic, high turnover of teachers, no progress report to parents. I don't know how it is now.

SIS - our foremost choice. the drawback is simplified Chinese, but we will try to cope. Anyway, the international trend is simplified Chinese. After all, there is less than 30M people in the world still using traditional Chinese.

SIS primary school only has 8.5 hours of Chinese/week. In many ways, it is also taught as a second language, only at a higher standard. I think that it is important for parents to guide the child to do more Chinese reading because it is a difficult language to master.

flo
    Don't expect much for CIS Chinese also. It is also taught as a second language, so kids will naturally prefer English. Of course, the standard is better than ESF - IMHO, practically nonexistant.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    ESF has in fact increased the overall time for Mandarin classes...some classes have daily chinese, some have every other day but longer times (45mins vs 30mins) - i think it is G2 or 3 that have alternative days...not 100% sure. still not great but the daily exposure is good.

CIS claims they are a dual language program at the primary years so that the language is not actually taught as a second language but rather immersed, which i think is why many parents are attracted to it...but unforunately like flo says, kids naturally prefer english because the environment in HK is just not conducive to the "proper" learning of Mandarin so making it difficult for children to find necessary to learn.

if you are really serious about mandarin I'd send your child to Kiangsu and Chekiang school for the primary school years (traditional stream)...had students go there before and even with no language environment at home, the kids (caucasians with 0 background in any form of Chinese) were speaking near perfect Mandarin and could understand it extremely well...I'm not sure what the school is like since I haven't visited but I have seen the Mandarin standard of kids and it is quite impressive.

flo
    Kiangsu and Chekiang - I worry about this choice. Yes, language-wise meets all expectations. But creativity? initiatives? I am not sure.

chubbysan is offline Registered User
    Hi Flo, I don think ISF has a " frequent change in principals". So far, there is only 1 change recently as the old principal was sick and hence, could not continue her post as the principal of ISF. The new principal has been doing a good job and well liked by the students.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123