Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Facial while pregnant

hobbes is offline Registered User

Facial while pregnant

What is the general view on getting a facial while pregnant? I am around 20 weeks and sick of my skin looking like I am a teenager again - plus I'd welcome the relaxation and cream massage during winter. I plan to stick to a reputed brand like Dermalogica and inform them in advance that I am pregnant (as if they could not tell from my bump the minute I walk in, lol!).

ssheng is offline Registered User
    I haven't heard anything negative about getting facials while pregnant other than that if you are worried, get an organic fruit-based facial rather than any kind of chemical peels that are highly acidic. Later in pregnancy they say not to lie on your back at night while sleeping, but at 20 weeks and for only an hour or so, that shouldn't be an issue. Defer to anyone else who has heard otherwise, tho!

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    facials are fine as long as they know you are and they don't use any of the machinery on you. at 20 weeks you should be OK, I had one when I was in my 3rd trimester and I couldn't complete the 45mins session cause my back was hurting too much...

starbucks2 is offline Registered User
    I think it should be fine too but I found that the babycentre website had great information on things like this (including - can I colour my hair, perm it etc while pregnant). Check it out BabyCenter Australia - Information on conception, pregnancy, baby and toddler health (they have a US section too).

SB2

banane76 is offline Registered User
    I would be careful of acidic based ingredients because your skin is much more sensitive right now...also if you're worried about laying on your back for an hour, ask them for a rolled up towel to put under your right hip to take pressure off your major blood vessels (the inferior vena cava that help circulate blood to you and your baby) and maybe a pillow so you're a little more reclined. Enjoy your facial and also go get a massage!

1stTimeMummy is offline Registered User
    I think you need to be careful with some certain scents and aromatherapy scented products. I got facials during my first trimester and they used natural almond oil on my skin. I didn't do any other treatments and kept the treatment simple. The best parts were the neck and shoulder massage but, at times, I would feel queasy with the mask on.

Obiwan is offline Registered User
    I had facial right up to delivery. Just make sure they don't use any chemicals and machinery on you.

slamdunk is offline Registered User
    if you go to a reputable place and let them know that you are pregnant if it is not obvious, i think it's ok. there are certain essential oils they won't use on you (i don't recall exactly which ones, am sure you can search online, but rose was definitely ok). enjoy!