Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

View Poll Results: What is your childcare plan?

Voters
30. This poll is closed
  • Me, or another family member, unpaid, fulltime

8 26.67%
  • A combination of me/SO and a paid employee part-time

5 16.67%
  • I will employ someone for fulltime childcare

12 40.00%
  • Other (please explain)

5 16.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What is your child care plan?

canadienne is offline Registered User

What is your child care plan?

Hey everyone, I am curious about your child care plans here in HK. I had always assumed that I would return to work part-time and rely on childcare co-op systems, but here it seems like people are uninterested in the co-op system (I look after your kid and mine for two hours, then give them both to you for two hours, that sort of thing - trading childcare hours) so I'm wondering what the most popular systems are.

Thanks for your input! I'd love to hear your thoughts as well.

carang is offline Registered User
    those are VERY unpopular as are daycares.

the most practical way most people here cope with childcare is (a) a family member ~usually only available to locals or (b) a full-time live-in helper.

thre are not many other options here, i'm afraid. domestic helpers here are very affordable, except to have one LEGALLY, they MUST be live-in.

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    I would love a co-op childcare agreement with friends, but don`t really have a group with similar aged babies who live around me.
    I find HK very strange in terms of childcare options, in that there really aren`t any. It`s pretty much nanny or nothing(for those without family here), or sending your kid to preschool at a very young age.
    Despite legalities, from what I have seen of people`s helper arrangements here, the options are wide, as long as they are agreed upon by the 2 parties.

so long as you are willing to risk your "life" here, then you can do anything you like.

however, if you do not wish to be deported, have the ability to hire a helper in the future or be fined large amounts of $$$... not to mention the consequences to the helper in question, then go ahead and hire an illegal helper.

to me, that is just not an option. i MUST work. which means i MUST have a legal helper. if the possibility of hiring a helper were taken away from me, i wouldn't be able to work and hubby and i couldn't afford to live in hk.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    when things are going well, you will be fine with "illegal help" it is when things turn sour that the troubles will hit you. my friend terminated her "legal" helper before probation was up, and she claimed she had evidence that MY helper was working part time at my friends place...which of course was not true - she just brought my daughter to my friends place every day for play groups...anyhow, my helper ended up getting alot of SMS from this disgruntled helper threathening to call immigration on her to report her and get her sent back to the Phillippines...at the end we had to talk and tell her that the proof she claimed she had was not sufficient (since we checked with immigration - she had a hand written timetable of when my helper went to my friends place) and only then did she finally stop...also, we changed the phone number for my helper....so, it can be a mess!

Shenzhennifer is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by carang View Post
    so long as you are willing to risk your "life" here, then you can do anything you like.

however, if you do not wish to be deported, have the ability to hire a helper in the future or be fined large amounts of $$$... not to mention the consequences to the helper in question, then go ahead and hire an illegal helper.
    Wow, so amazing that I have seen more people `risk their lives` in HK than not. To each their own, eh.
    Not exactly a police state, despite the Pearl tv commercials make it seem, though LeslieFu sounds more accurate in how things can easily turn sour. Always nice to do things the square route to protect yourself as it`s hard to know or trust others easily.

i don't mean your physical life, i mean your livliehood (did i spell that right?)

that's why i had "life" in quotation marks.

sorry for the misunderstanding.

(my "life" would be VERY difficult if not impossible in hk without our helper. as i said, we need both incomes to survive here. hubby and i are both self-employed and no income is guaranteed for us.)

ps> i believe that jailtime is a possibility if you get caught.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast