Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Intnat'l Academy Distance Learning

carang is offline Registered User

Intnat'l Academy Distance Learning

I know that homeschooling is not usually allowed in HK, but does anyone know if the curriculum offered by the above (an advertiser on Geoexpat.com) would be ok to do just that?

I would be interested in homeschooling my two kids, but didn't think it would be feasible, now I'm starting to wonder.

the other thing is, with my current qualifications, i could apply to the edb for status as a "permitted teacher". would that make it any easier to convince them that my kids are getting a good education?

0ze_Kid is offline Registered User
    Great question. Will be watching closely as I may have no choice next year but to 'homeschool' until a place becomes available for DD in P1/P2!

Just to add, have you contacted these guys? The Hong Kong Homeschool Meetup Group (Hong Kong) - Meetup.com they might have some advice.

spockey is offline Registered User
    OzeKid... I know someone who homeschools their child - Australian via South Australia's distance education homeschool programme via the department of education of SA. It doesn't cost a pretty penny. I think it's less than $500AUD a year!

what i'm concerned about is the fact that hubby and i are both permanent residents... would that cause a problem if i decided to homeschool?

carang - I think you could easily justify with Canadian citizenship and being a teacher.

My biggest concern is the social side of things. As I would hope to only homeschool for a year until she got a place at the school we want.

Thanks spockey. Will look into that - although not SA, the concept would be the same in NSW or Vic I think.

well, i've just called the EDB... they will get back to me, they say...

so far, i've heard, 'hong kong has the ordinance ensuring every child goes to school.'

i countered with, 'there is a difference between going to school and getting an education.'

we'll see. if it doesnt' work out, no problem. i think i've found a school that will be ok for a while.

yonge is offline Registered User
    Our friends have been homeschooling their two sons for several years now. Both the parents are teachers by profession. They both have PR, and their children have Canadian as well as HK citizenship. I don't think they took the initiative to contact the EDB, but my understanding is that the authorities generally leave you alone as long as the children and parents have foreign citizenship. Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast