Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

View Poll Results: Will you let your child/ren get the Swine Flu vaccine?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 31.11%
  • No

22 48.89%
  • Not sure

9 20.00%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Swine Flu Vaccine - yes or no

carang is offline Registered User

that's a great resource! thanks!

geomum is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by freddiebiscuit View Post
    My husband, 22 month old daughter and I will get both the seasonal flu vaccination and the H1N1 vaccination this year. We don't usually get flu vaccinations, but this year we have our 2 month old son to consider. If he were to get any kind of flu, it could be very serious for him and I would really regret not having the rest of the family vaccinated if he contracted some thing that could have been prevented.

Geomom, check out the Centre for Health Protection website. It has a list of centres offering the swine flu jab, including private doctors.
    Here's the link:
    Centre for Health Protection

Thanks Freddiebiscuit :)

megan2008 is offline Registered User

I personally have not given myself or my daughter the vacine. The reason for this is because of the short time between testing and researching the side effects of the vaccine and the release to the generally public. For now, I have chosen not to vaccinate.

nicolejoy is offline Registered User

The vaccine is exactly the same as the regular flu vaccine and just as safe. Each year, they make a new flu vaccine based on the strains that are most virulent that particular year - since the flu mutates so quickly... They just used the exact same technology and applied it to the swine flu strains. If someone is worried about the safety of the swine flu vaccine, they should also be worried about the seasonal flu vaccine since it is basically the same, just for a different strain. It's not really new technology or anything like that - just the same technology applied to a different strain of the flu, which is what they do every single year anyway.

I'm strongly considering getting myself and my family vaccinated - mostly because we have a little one, and I've got one on the way too. And two of the demographics most at risk are pregnant ladies, and young children.

If I had no kids and not pregnant, I probably wouldn't bother with it, but when you have kids or are pregnant, the risks of the vaccine are significantly less than the risks associated with the disease.

I haven't recieved the flu virus either. There are other ingredients in the vaccines besides the actual virus. This includes preservatives and there are different types. Also, one can also get a "live" or "dead" virus injected or nasal, etc. I could be wrong, but I think the nasal inhalation is new? Additionally, there has been numerous recalls on the vaccine given in the US. Granted the reactions are not too severe, still, there have been recalls. This is what leads me to be a bit skeptical. It's a hard decision to make; there are pros and cons to each.

Sorry, one more thing.....The swine flu is not like the different strains of flu that one annually gets vaccinated against. Therefore, it is not the same as the regular flu and there hasn't been too much research on it's effects given via vaccination.

geomum is offline Registered User

I got the vaccine for my daughter yesterday and the doctor spoke to me about the concerns parents are having about this vaccine specifically about the preservative added to the vaccine. He said this vaccine could have the same possible side effects just as a regular flu vaccine would. This particular vaccine was imported from France and it did have the preservative which WERE thought to be related to Autism years ago BUT after extensive research the results showed the two had no connection whatsoever.

miao is offline Registered User

haven't got it for my son either; still debating about it with myself. heard that in the US there were mercury-free jabs to be given to children and pregnant women, but those are expensive and complicated to produce. asked son's doctor clinic and the nurse told me the jabs we have in HK are not completely mercury free but have a bit of that in it to activate the antibody.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast