Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

View Poll Results: Will you let your child/ren get the Swine Flu vaccine?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 31.11%
  • No

22 48.89%
  • Not sure

9 20.00%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Swine Flu Vaccine - yes or no

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    The nasal spray vaccine isn't a new thing - it's been used with the seasonal flu vaccine for a few years, at least. It generally has less preservatives - but is also less effective.

Also the H1N1 strain of the flu is not a new strain - it's just a mutation of a previously known strain, which is what every seasonal flu is. It is exactly the same as any other seasonal flu, in terms of it's basic make up - that's why the same technology could be used to make the vaccine. If it was a completely new thing, the same technology would be ineffective.

One good and bad thing about the swine flu vaccine is that it has been much more closely monitored than the seasonal flu vaccine. That's good because in some ways, it makes it even safer. But it's also bad because every single reaction is noted and reported - so the statistics are slightly higher than those of the seasonal flu vaccine - however this is most likely because it IS monitored more closely, not because there ARE more reactions.

If it's preservatives that someone is worried about, there are pretty much the same preservatives in a bunch of other vaccines as well - and all of them have years of study, some are even found naturally in our bodies - but still there is a lot of unproven claims about them. The research indicates that they are safe, otherwise they wouldn't be using them in the first place.

I know that ultimately we make up our own minds - but as a medicinal chem major, with a lot of study into it, I believe that the vaccine is as safe as any other vaccine and a lot of the hype around it is just that - hype. I understand that some people are anti-vaccination in general and therefore of course they are going to be anti-swine flu vaccine too. But those people who aren't anti-vaccination, I think it's a shame that this vaccine has been misrepresented by many because there's (in my opinion) absolutely nothing that makes this vaccine any different from any other vaccine out there. If anything, all the close monitoring, all the recalls etc makes it MORE safe!! Other vaccines don't get that kind of special treatment ;)

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    as a pregnant mommy what are your opinions about getting the vaccine? i'm half hearted about the whole thing...but know how serious it CAN get....what do you think?!?

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    I already posted my opinions, but as a fellow pregnant mummy - I know that a) pregnant women are more at risk of catching swine flu to begin with, and b) pregnant woman, if they do get swine flu, are more at risk of having serious complications, particularly in the third trimester.

One of my friend's friends was about 34 weeks pregnant and got swine flu and they thought she was going to die - they had to take the baby early to try and save the bub... in the end she did pull through and lived, and the bub was fine... but not all stories have a happy ending like that. Of course, that's still the minority - we're still not THAT likely to catch it, and if we catch it, it's likely to not be that much more serious than the seasonal flu - BUT there is a double increased risk, so for me that's enough reason to get the vaccine. It's better than not getting it and wishing that you had!!

Plus in HK they're offering it for free for pregnant women too, at the public clinics - so we don't even have to pay for it ;)

yonge is offline Registered User
    I checked with the pediatrician - the "swine flu" vaccine is being included in the seasonal flu vaccine being produced for the spring of 2010. I can't remember what's the technical name of the mid-season flu vaccine, but it's the one that people who do a lot of travelling to the Southern hemisphere will take.

lesliefu is offline Registered User
    thanks nicolejoy and yonge...will look into the swine flu vaccine....might get it the next time i visit the doctors...

rani is offline Administrator
    Did you read the article in today's SCMP about the man falling ill after getting the swine flu jab?

According to the Dept Health only 3% of ill/pregnant women have received the vaccine.

Article in HK Standard
    Probe as man falls sick after flu jab - The Standard
    Last edited by rani; 01-07-2010 at 12:48 PM.

Hannah's Mom is offline Registered User
    I was really debating about getting this shot also for my girls. Both have had the regular flu jab already.
    I decided that I WILL get the H1N1 shot mainly because another child that we know has just been admitted to the hospital with it. Both my children are of school age (3 and 6) and the risk of getting it is higher since they are around kids all day (like any sickness!)! My 3 year old will get it for free but have to take my 6 year old to her doctor.
    I've heard that people are most concerned about February.. after CNY ... after all the travelling?? If we get the first shot now the second one will be done just before CNY ....... ALSO next regular flu jab will include this "swine flu" so i figure if they'll be getting the jab anyway then .....
    It's a tough decision!

Neha is offline Banned
    I marked as unsure but we have decided not to get it.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast