Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

View Poll Results: Will you let your child/ren get the Swine Flu vaccine?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 31.11%
  • No

22 48.89%
  • Not sure

9 20.00%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Swine Flu Vaccine - yes or no

newbiekt is offline Registered User
    I am 21 weeks pregnant and I had the jab when I was in the UK over Christmas. I will get my 9 month old son vaccinated too. My GP there was very convincing about having it on the grounds that a) it's the same and has gone through the same procedures/checking as seasonal flu b) swine flu has caused some people, especially small children and pregnant women to be very ill and have to deliver early or be hospitalised.
    Last edited by newbiekt; 01-14-2010 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Change to original posting

Gataloca is offline Registered User
    I don't know about my children (I don't have any yet). But I am 14 weeks pregnant, and I don't think I'll take the vaccine.

My sister is in Canada, and there she got the one without preservative. But here in Hong Kong, I don't even know what that vaccine contains... is it a live virus vaccine, or a killed virus vaccine? does it contain preservative???... why is it "safe" when most regular vaccination (e.g. Rubella) is not safe for pregnant women???

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    We're going tomorrow. According to our office, kids only need one (and I've read that research shows that the additional benefit of the 2nd shot is less than 1%, so I wouldn't go back anyway). We always did seasonal flu, but skipped this year because 90% of flu out there is swine flu. I may very well be included in next year's seasonal flu shots, so then we'll just get those next winter.

I've had the (seasonal) flu shots already a few years in a row, mostly due to pregnancy and the fact I have 3 young kids at home. From one of them, I fell ill for about a day, the other times, nothing.

EDH
    EDH is offline Registered User
    No waitinglist if you go the the Department of Health and the shots are free to. Actually quite an experience. Kids had no bad reactions and went in and came out smiling.

My reason for doing it is that the respective countries where my wife and I come from the government was giving the shots to the kids as well.

solidstars is offline Registered User
    i'm still undecided. hearing news about people who became paralyzed after getting the vaccine is still scary... though i know it's a lot of hype so more attention, etc, but still...

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by solidstars View Post
    i'm still undecided. hearing news about people who became paralyzed after getting the vaccine is still scary... though i know it's a lot of hype so more attention, etc, but still...
    Can you please back this up with facts? Sources. Would be interested.

geomum is offline Registered User
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom2Sofie&Twins View Post
    Can you please back this up with facts? Sources. Would be interested.
    Me too.......... :)

nicolejoy is offline Registered User
    There was one person in Hong Kong, out of something like 100,000+ vaccinated so far. Rani posted the link on the previous page. It was a guy with "lower limb muscle weakness" which may or may not have been connected to the vaccination. I also have the SCMP article in an email if anyone wants me to email it to them...

There's been one case of possible "serious side effect" out of more than 100,000 vaccinated - as opposed to 55 deaths in Hong Kong out of 34,000 cases of swine flu. I know which odds are better!!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast