Forums  •  Classifieds  •  Events  •  Directory

View Poll Results: Will you let your child/ren get the Swine Flu vaccine?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 31.11%
  • No

22 48.89%
  • Not sure

9 20.00%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Swine Flu Vaccine - yes or no

Neha is offline Banned
    Yesterday'S news said 3 people have had adverse reaction the vaccination

MommyTo3 is offline Registered User
    But doesn't that go for all vaccinations. There are always rare 1:100,000 adverse reactions. At least if you go to the CDC website, you'll find it all written down. This many people experience this, other this, serious could be this. It's rare, and it's not typical for this particular immunization. Can happen with a different one as well. It's just the odds that you need to outweigh. My kids had never had adverse reactions to any shot, including regular flu shots besides it a mild fever (and if that it's rare) or a sore arm, which is quite common, especially when they're tense and "fighting" the shot by strengthening their muscles.

solidstars is offline Registered User
    i saw it on the news when we were travelling in taiwan, but anyways did a quick search:

Swine Flu Vaccine Linked to Paralysis, Leaked Memo Reveals

Swine flu jab link to killer nerve disease: Leaked letter reveals concern of neurologists over 25 deaths in America | Mail Online

As I said, i'm still undecided...

rani is offline Administrator
    Probe into stillbirth flu jab inconclusive

Health chiefs say they have found no link - so far - between a woman's still birth and the swine flu vaccine she received.

Friday, January 22, 2010

Health chiefs say they have found no link - so far - between a woman's still birth and the swine flu vaccine she received.

The child was stillborn on Tuesday. Its 37-year-old mother is in stable condition at Tuen Mun Hospital.

The woman received the vaccine on December 28. She was 28 weeks' pregnant when admitted to Tuen Mun Hospital after she reported decreased fetal movement and no heartbeat.

A spokesman for the Department of Health said: "It will take some time to see if it is related to the swine flu vaccine, but so far we do not see any link."

The department also said yesterday that tests on a 67-year- old woman admitted to Kwong Wah Hospital for treatment last Friday showed she did not have Guillain-Barre syndrome (GBS).

The syndrome is one in which the body attacks its own nerve cells.

The woman suffered from general weakness, fever, headache and vomiting.

"[She] had been classified as a non-Guillain-Barre Syndrome case," the department said.

"According to the latest review of her condition by neurologists, all findings do not indicate GBS."

The Standard - China's Business Newspaper

rani is offline Administrator
    Health chief urges pregnant women: Get the jab

Worried mothers-to-be are being urged to set aside unproven concerns that the human swine flu (H1N1) vaccination can hurt the unborn and to go ahead and get the jab.

Monday, January 25, 2010

Worried mothers-to-be are being urged to set aside unproven concerns that the human swine flu (H1N1) vaccination can hurt the unborn and to go ahead and get the jab.

The plea was made as Hong Kong's health chief said it would have been "irresponsible" if the government had not advised pregnant women to get vaccinated against H1N1 for they have a much greater risk of serious illness than most people if they are stricken with the pandemic flu.

Secretary for Food and Health York Chow Yat-ngok was defending the vaccination policy after two women suffered stillbirths on a single day last week.

That was just weeks after they received the jab.

A 33-year-old woman lost her 37-week unborn baby on Tuesday after receiving the vaccine on December 27. But she was suffering from gestational diabetes when admitted to Queen Elizabeth Hospital, health authorities said at the weekend.

On the same day, a 37-year-old woman suffered a stillbirth at Tuen Mun Hospital. She got the jab on December 28.

"We still have not been able to confirm the cause of death," Chow said of the Tuen Mun case, but he insisted no evidence has been found to connect the stillbirth to the vaccine.

Investigations for common causes of stillbirths - including infection and genetic and metabolic disorders - are being carried out in both cases.

From 150 to 220 stillbirths are recorded in Hong Kong every year.

Meanwhile, Chow said there is no scientific evidence and therefore no reason to change the vaccination policy for high-risk groups.

Pregnant women have 10 times the risk of serious complications from the flu that require hospital attention, he said, and in some cases the virus means death.

"If we did not have [this policy] it would be irresponsible," he said of the recommendation that pregnant women be vaccinated.

Worldwide, there has not been confirmation of any flu vaccine causing fetal deaths - a fact that had Chow cautioning: "We must be very careful to draw conclusions."

Chow's plea was echoed by Shane Solomon, chief executive of the Hospital Authority.

He urged pregnant women to receive the jab because the risk of them needing intensive care in hospital is 10 times greater than that other people face.

While pregnant women remain high on the flu fighters' worry list, fears are easing over youngsters because many have built up an immunity to H1N1.

If recommendations by scientific committees of the Centre for Health Protection are accepted, primary school children will not be a target of a mass- vaccination program.

The committees examined "local serology data, which show that about half of the children have adequate antibody levels," a spokesman said.

That suggests "a substantial number" already have immunity against the coming second wave of flu.

So "the scientific committees do not regard primary school children as a special target group recommended for vaccination."

The Standard - China's Business Newspaper

Speculator is offline Registered User
    A 77 yr old friend of my dad was paralysed when he was vacinated with the swine flu vacine last year in HK. He lived alone in Sai Kung and was unable to visit a doctor due to his paralysis. He also refused to call an ambulance.

Apparantly, he was near death and I managed to book a sameday e-ticket on Virgin Atlantic for his wife and son to fly back to HK from England to see him. Happliy, he has now almost recovered.

My dad now is refusing to visit our local GP in England in case it happens to him.

braveheart is offline Registered User

flu jab

I just read the article in Standard where women less than 3 mnths pregnant were advised not to take the flu shot. The conflicting views among the medical fraternity scare me as nobody is sure whether it is really safe or what are the long term effects of the medicine. I definately would not want to experiment on my kids!!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345